underbelly material

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

farmer1

Can anyone tell me where to buy the underbelly panels that go between the frame rails where the pipes are located. It is a black compressed insulation material. Mine got wet and have to be replaced.
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds to me like you have the old buffalo board belly type. Bellys now use a cloth like material. I am not sure it buffalo board is still avalable, If it is I would think the shipping could make it too costly to reasonably use.
Mark has the material avalable here. Some have used Tyvec also, you need a breathable material for the belly, so do not use plastic.
I am sure others will have more ideas also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

You should look in the plywood/sheetrock areas of Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. They have a 4x8 panel of the same material and they call it Sound Board.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
altasnowman

Hi farmer1, believe it or not you can use a silo tarp or the same tarps that you cover your hay bales to repair the belly. The other things that you will need is 1- spray adhesive to attach tarp to old material 2- staple gun to attach tarp to floor joists on side away from duct line 3- tarp tape and a heat gun or hair dryer. 4- time and patience as this is a job that you will be laying on your back for several hours. I found that the blue tarps work very well for doing this type of job. Oh and one other thing if you are replacing the insulation i used the R20 24x48 batts and overlapped them after i had gotten the tarp partially installed. If you need more info on how to do this job send me a email.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

Many people have used Tyvec, Yes it does allow the home to breath. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

JMO here, but real belly material is impregnated with an oil that also resist rotting and bugs/critters. Tarps do not have that quality. For the time and materials involved I would personally try to use the best materials and get it done right.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!