Bridge collapses under mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark
Site Admin

I got this in an e-mail that's going around. Maybe some of you have seen these too. I think I was more impressed in seeing a built-in double garage than the bridge collapsing! I wonder how long this home is -- 100 feet? And surely more than 2 axles were used to move this home!!!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

I would guess that someone did a good job with photoshop. That home is at least 20' wide, a 2 lane road is about the same width. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Palomino

That looks like a nice spot on the water there. If it were my home Id just leave it there and move in.

Palomino wrote: If it were my home Id just leave it there and move in.
Yea, trout fishing out your back door, Literally!!!!
skunkman

might be able to catch some mud suckers but I doubt if you'd get any trout out of that water.
geraldk

i received the same email awhile back
then i saw it in the Calgary alberta sun newspaper
and yes they make up to 22 ft wide up here in alberta
22 by 76 ft single wide . i never seen one with a attached garage though. but ill check with manuf. and let ya'll know ...
im not a dr. but ill take a look
garrett_reukauf

If ya look close in those pictures you can see the other set of tandem axles laying on the collapsed pieces of the bridge in the water. Seems they lack in the common sense department huh?
Demolition

In Arkansas the Fire Departments are required to have a Bridge Plan. All the bridges in their district, they have to know the weight rating of them.
This is so they don't drive the fire truck tanker, with 2,000 gallons of water (16,000 pounds) across the rickedy bridge.
Maybe MH movers should get a list from the State Highway department that has all the bridges on them.
When I moved Mobile Homes, we never broke a bridge.
We did cut a corner short and straddle a ditch for a few hours.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Greg

Demo, You forgot part of the equation. 16,000 lbs is the weight of the water, you forgot about the truck to put it in. add another 20,000 to it. that puts you at around 36,000. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."