Shift and sinking????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

garrett_reukauf

As stated in an earlier post I am fairly new to this mobile home living. I have noticed quite often in other post, you all talk about the home shifting and settling. I know the settle thing but what is this shifting thing exactly? And how do you prevent or avoid it the best a person can?
Thanks
Greg

Since most mobiles do not have permanent below the frost line foundations those of us in the colder climates suffer from frost heave. When the ground freezes & thaws it moves. This movement can create problems with the home and anything attached to it (the reason we don't recommend attaching porches & decks). They may seal, but very rarely stay sealed. You may find that doors in the home stick at times, usually after a thaw until every thing settles back into place in the spring. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

We live in the Arkansas Delta. The soil is very soft here. Sometimes a house will settle and shift.
If you have trouble opening or shutting some doors, that is a sign the house has shifted.
You can call a Licensed mobile home mover and they can put you in touch with people who can come re-level the house. It will cost between $200 and $500. You can also do it yourself, if you know what you are doing. You will need to buy some hydraulic jacks, at least quantity of 4 and need to be 6 or 12 ton jacks. It will cost you about $200 for all the jacks.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town