master bath flooring

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crowitch77

Hello everyone! I just bought a 1992 Fleetwood. I have NEVER lived or owned much less been in a trailer before so this is all very new to me.

first off, i was having issues with my master bath toilet. so i removed it and bought a new toilet (the old one was cracked). but i decided "hey, since i am getting a new toilet i might as well get rid of this horrible PINK carpet in there as well". uhh yeah, not going so easily since i didn't know they tacked the carpet every 1/2 inch. that's not the issue, my issue is this: i would like to tear up the carpet and put down some tiles. i was told no tiles in a trailer because they shift. so i have decided on linoleum (not tiled because they can get really leaky). i have what appears to be pressed board for a subfloor (it's stained with a green stain). so i need to put plywood down right?

help? can i get tile? i want really big tile in there.

thank you!!!
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. If the sub floor is still sound, you CAN leave it but many of us would take the time to upgrade to plywood. You can use the vynil tiles with out much of a problem, but in a bathroom I would use sheet flooring (less seams to leak water to the sub floor).
Since you are new to this I would recommend Mark's (the owner of this site) book avalable in the books & parts section of this site. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

I used to work in the warehouse at a flooring store.
Here are two suggestions:
1) They have vinyl sheet flooring that looks like ceramic flooring. Put down a layer of 1/4 inch luann board. It is like plywood. Be sure to put down a skim coat over the new luann so the glue for the sheet flooring will stick better. Then put Quarter round on the edges of the floor to keep the sheet vinyl from rolling up. Caulk with DAP around the bathtub and toilet. Caulk is available in different colors too. We like DAP Brand.
2) You can use ceramic but you would need Backer-Board. This makes the mortar THINK it is sticking to concrete. Ceramic is cheaper but labor is much higher. I agree also that the ceramic doesn't always like trailers because the trailer bounces, even when it is anchored to the ground.
If you shop around I think you would like the selection of vinyl on the market now. It is much faster to install and easy to keep clean.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Yanita

Hi,

Another welcome,

As Greg said using tile is really not a good choice, yes many have done it, some have been successful others have failed miserably.

Backer board would be a must, and larger tiles crack easier than smaller tiles.

I do not know the area you live but if you are anywhere other than a constant warm climate I recommend you do not do the tile. What type of foundation is your home, does your home shift alot with the seasons or with alot of rain?

I also do not recommend completely caulking around the base of the toilet, if it should start to leak at the wax seal chances are great that you will not notice until alot of damage has been done.

Whatever sheet vinyl you install make sure to read the manufacturer's installation guide. Typically there is not a warranty if you DIY, only if installed professionally.

Again, the purchase of the Repair Manual is well worth the money spent, get/do the job right the first time. This book is written in generic terms and applicable to all mobile homes.

Glad you found us and look forward to your future contributions.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

I would agree with Demolition on this one. A good underlayment followed with a sheet vinyl that looks like ceramic tile is the way to go. No grout lines to worry about cracking, no cracked tiles if you drop something, less expensive installation, no chances of destroying it if the home ever has to be moved, and water can not penetrate to the sub-floor.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
crowitch77

excellent! thank you! ummm now can i hire any of you to do this for me? LOL! kidding! sort of.

i live in michigan. where the newscast will say sunshine and 70 and it's 30 and snow instead. i live on the middle of a hill in my "neighborhood" (ok ok park). so basically my house shifts when a truck rolls by. LOL!!!
skunkman

I just scraped up 2 layers of filthy dirty floor tile in the kitchen and bathroom of my '75 model mobile home. Some tiles were stuck so tight that I had to use a square shovel to loosen them and other tiles would slide around under my feet as I walked over them. Guess what was underneath it all....the original yellow patterned linoleum glued to the sub floor. After many hours of cleaning the dirt and liquids that had settled under the tile I have gotten the original linoleum clean enough to lay new vinyl over it. I now know first hand that for me tiles aren't the way to go in a bathroom or kitchen.
Trickey280

If you put down vinyl tile I would make sure, like said before, that there is a layer of glue down already. Our friend who does flooring said it helps prevent water damage and the tiles stay put. We have done both bathrooms and the tiles are secured very well. The kitchen was done before we moved in and they just stuck the tiles to the luan and we have pieces coming off and sliding around.

We just put down a layer of VCT clue and waited for there to be no transfer when touched, then we layed our tiles.
skunkman

Trickey280 wrote:If you put down vinyl tile I would make sure, like said before, that there is a layer of glue down already. Our friend who does flooring said it helps prevent water damage and the tiles stay put. We have done both bathrooms and the tiles are secured very well. The kitchen was done before we moved in and they just stuck the tiles to the luan and we have pieces coming off and sliding around.

We just put down a layer of VCT clue and waited for there to be no transfer when touched, then we layed our tiles.
are you talking about putting down VCT glue before laying self sticking floor tiles?
Yanita

Hi,

I do not know what brand of tiles you are laying, but I can say that if you are using the Novalis brand you will not need any glue other than what is already on them. I have used this product before in a high traffic kitchen.

I do recommend that id this is the brand you choose to have a small bottle of Goo Gone and a clean rag so you can clean up the excess glue that squeezes out.

JMO,

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!