Block Piers under house and weight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

Is it normal to pour concrete footing before stacking up the concrete blocks.

Our doublewide has piers made up of 4 standard blocks in stacks arranged in a square at each support location. I can't get under to look closely.

this is sandy soil and I was just wondering about footings.
The house in very solid and has not sunk in 20 years as far as I can tell.

The wife thought of laying terracotta tile in the Kitchen, Diningroom and living room and I was wondering about the added weight.

Any thoughts?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

Whether concrete footers are required or not would depend on your local building code. Footers are not required in most of California. It would be best to contact your local building department.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

In 20 years codes may have changed also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Are you saying that you already have poured footers under your piers? Is it normal, depends upon codes in your area. Even if it is not code it is still the best way to go.

Since your home has not moved in 20 years...well, you are still taking a chance on the tiles. Although as of late I have seen an awful lot of new homes being designed with tiles.

The weight, as long as your home has at least 2x6 floor joist you should be fine. You did mention that this was a doublewide, you will certainly know if your home moves as soon as you go over the marriage lines.

Won't say you can't do it, but will say that for the most part this site does not recommend it. Alot of money, and labor to have the tiles or grout crack all the time.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Demolition

I agree with the floor joist suggestion. Also make sure the floor is not rotted or victim of termites.

In Arkansas, the MH code requires installing additional piers where there is a Bay Window or Fireplace (depending on the model).
So you may consider adding a few extra piers under the house where the new flooring is. You don't necessarily need to jack up the house.

You can get concrete blocks for about $1.50 each.
Then have at least one 2 inch or 4 inch block on top of that
then one pressure treated 2 x 8 hardwood board on top of that
then maybe one or two wedges and hammer them in till snug.

If you aren't on a concrete foundation be sure to put a 16x16x4
concrete block on the bottom of each pier.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town