Mystery Light

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JRC

There is an exterior light in the back of my home and I can't find a switch anywhere that controls it. Any thoughts on where I could find some kind of a wiring diagram?
hvac1000

Does it work? It could be a automatic on at dusk off in the morning style lite. It could also be a lite that takes movement to turn it on like a security lite. This would explain the no switch situation.

On my storage shed I have a security lite. The previous owner installed it with out a switch. I have to turn it off by a breaker in the panel to work on it.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
JRC

The light dose work. I currently climb onto the hitch and unscrew the light bulb to turn it off. It doesn't look like a security light. I didn't think about a timer light because I have not seen a timer. Somebody could have buried it in the wall though.

I'll leave the bulb screwed in for a couple days. I've always just unscrewed it so as to not waste power.

My breaker panel only has eight breakers and two of them are the main. I haven't checked witch one the light is on. I can only assume that whichever breaker it is, it also powers a room.
Furball

Could it be connected to a switch on the inside of the home? Or might there be a cable that runs to an outside electrical box?

We couldn't turn on the lights in the shed until my girlfriend came over and followed the cable to an electric plug-in near the back stairs.
JD
Site Admin

You can also hook up a standard light to a motion sensor. I have one of those. The sensor is just a small round thing, like a hidden camera lens.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JRC

I didn't think of a motion sensor. Thanks.