Roll-on roof coatings - anybody have experience with these?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

Hello all - I guess I am (re)new here. I haven't been around since the old forum format - WOW, this sure looks a LOT NICER!

I have an asphalt shingle roof - I live in south Texas. I was thinking of coating my roof with that white rubberized stuff called "Sno-Cap" or something. Does anybody here have any experience with this already? Is this a smart thing to do? HELP! And thanks!
1989 Fuqua SW
JD
Site Admin

Hi mobtek,

Welcome back to the forum.

I replaced a small porch roof done this way just last month. Just white sealant over the shingles did not work at all for my customer. We chose to tear off the shingles and apply basically the same product you are talking about, directly to the plywood roof deck. We taped all of the joint seams and applied 2 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of the top coat. The "mop-on" products are not usually what I recommend, but in this situation, it was the best solution.

Personally, I would not coat shingles. But it may be good to also ask that question to the real experts. I would recommend contacting Ames Research through the contact information at their web site. http://www.amesresearch.com/ They sell the products to coat roofing like you are asking about. I know they coat asphalt rolled roofing. I am not sure if they would recommend coating shingles. The people at Ames are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I used the Elasto-Barrier undercoat and SuperStretch, for the top coat. This does seem like an excellent system and may be a viable alternative for people that want to DIY a new roof. While being similar to low priced elastomerics in general terms, it is a much higher quality (and priced) product. When this product is applied in the multiple layers as instructed, I could see this roof product lasting 12-15 years here in the brutal UV rays of the Central Valley, CA. Ames assured me that the topcoat product could be re-applied to create basically a new mopped roof condition. It will take 12-15 years for me to get back to you on that one from personal experience.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
mobtek

Thanks! THAT's the website I needed!
1989 Fuqua SW