Roofing, overhangs, etc?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Ok, so I figured out about the album issue....so I will wait to post photos. I do have a question......several really. I have a 14x46 04 Clayton Spirit single-wide....it has that rolled on looking metal roofing that has zero overhang. We currently have a covered deck (not attached to MH) but would like to replace it with a much larger screened porch. A neighbor had one built but their MH has much more room above the entry door, AND shingled roof with overhang. I was thinking about building the new porch lower than current deck so you'd step out and down into the porch. This would provide more head-room. I was also considering building the porch roof right up against the edge of existing roof and then replacing the entire roof with the metal inter-locking type and extend it all the way over the porch roof to prevent leaking. At the same time, wondering if it's possible to remove those tiny little gutters and put some type of board all the way around the edge to create an "overhang" if you will? We have had a problem with those gutters filling up so fast that it leaked water into the wall near the doors. We cut those gutters and bent down to make water escape, but I want them gone and some type of little overhang so we can install REAL gutters all the way around the sides and along the new screen porch. I hope I am making sense...sorry for the long post. I am attaching a photo to show what type of roof etc. we have now. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Oh ya.....would the roofer pull off that rolled on roof or just lay new metal over it? I'd prefer to pull that off, just don't know. It does not leak or anything now. Thanks,
archive

Just my opinion but you should get Mark's book that is available on this site, just click the books and parts link. This book will show you a metal roofover that is fairly easy and cheap. It also includes a section on how to add a sofit which will give you the overhang you are looking for and a place to mount the new house style gutters.
archive

Ok thanks Archie. I did order the book just now. I already purchased the Additions booklet a few months ago....but didn't see anything about overhangs or actually installing metal roofs. I don't know about a roof-over, I'd prefer an actual roof replacement, but I'll see what the book has to say on it. I'd still like to know what anybody else thinks also....thanks.
archive

Hi,

I would go with the roof over, why remove a roof that is not leaking? With Marks roof over you would have extra insulation as well as the overhangs and real gutter capabilities.

The roof over in the manuel surely would be much cheaper than removing present roof and building new.

Sorry I did not look to see if you had a profile to read, so I do not know what area you are from...but check your local codes on the roofing either way you go.

JMO,
Have a great night,

~Yanita~8-)
archive

Hi phelpcd1,

I totally agree with Archie and Yanita here. A nice little roof over would be just the ticket for your situation!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Well I have not received the booklet yet, so I'm not sure exactly what the roof-over is like. What prevents wasps from invading the space between the roof-over and original roof? I am in the middle of the country with every critter imaginable, including tons of wasps. I am just imagining having some gigantic wasp nest in between where I can't get to to remove. I absolutely HATE the existing roof, it's ugly and makes popping noises when the temps change....in the bath it almost sounds like a light rain is falling sometimes. Hopefully I will receive the book by this weekend so I can check out the roof-over idea.
archive

Hi

Below is a photo. Hope this helps.

Harry
archive

Ok, so Mark's book arrived this weekend. I looked thru the entire book and don't see roof-over's? Maybe what I'm thinking of as a roof-over is not what your talking about? I do see the section about replacing the roof with a corrugated metal roof.......is this what you are referring to? I also see the photos of the "overhangs", but there is no instruction on how to do this......we ended up cleaning up those little gutter thingies and they were full of dirt and ants. We cut them open and bent them down as much as possible to allow water to drain better.....we also noticed the caulking or whatever it is that is sealing the metal roof to the home/gutters has split in many areas which would allow water to get into the walls. We recaulked, but geeezzz, this place is not quite 2 years old!
archive

Hi,

The Metal Roof in the book is the roof-over Harry is referring to.

The pic he gave from the book of the overhang is all there was on that. It was to give an idea.

If you look closely, you can see it is basicly a rectangle shaped box attached to top of wall at roof edge and constructed so as to allow the roof to extend/overhang and be supported by it.

You then can attach gutters to outter edge.

For caulking those seams, it's best to caulk with Neoprene caulking for it to last and hold up.

Marks sells it in a 4 tubes pack or check locally at home centers, hardware stores or Wal-Mart.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Hi phelpcd1,

If you are looking for a good, low priced, DIY roof with and overhang to put real gutters on, the corrugated roof this thread is talking would be a great choice. I am looking at those trees you have at that beautiful lot and wondering how much work it will be keeping the gutters cleaned out. Without a profile next to your user name, I don't know if ice and snow would be a problem for you. Also, if you are in Central Valley CA, (Sacramento to Bakersfield) you might want to look at the roof I install. See the image attachment below. This is a premium roof product and not inexpensive
archive

Hey JD......I am in East TX. We just cleaned out those little gutters this weekend so it's not very difficult. Honestly, we have lost many of those trees surrounding the house due to the drought here. That pic is old, as soon as I'm able to post an album, I will put up new pics. Yes, the roof in the book is exactly what I was thinking, I guess I was thinking a roof-over is something like what they do in Florida making a "cover" completely over the house with carports, rooms etc. I may take the advice of someone who asked why replace a non-leaking roof, and just wait a while. Thanks everyone!
archive

Hi phelpcd1,

There does seem to be some name confusion when talking about mobile home roofs. The manufacturer of my roof as well as all my competitor's roofs call these systems "roof-overs", I think meaning that they are installed directly on top of the old roof. Those type that we see in those Florida pics, I call "Pole barn roofs". I don't know if there is a set definition.

JD
archive

I am new and have a question. I live in Western NY near Buffalo and I have summer place that is a 14x70 1993 Fairmont with a domed metal roof. I would like to do a roof-over and extend it over a 12x24 foot porch. I have two questions, 1) if I do a metal roof, can I put the joists right on the edge over the wall or do I have to do the 4x4 on the side of the home every 8 feet to support it. 2) I really want a soffit so what other options do I have... thank you...JJ
archive

Hi,

The roofs that require poles (support) on the sides of your home we refer to as pole barn roofs. The roof overs as mentioned in previous post are a light weight corrugated metal that can purchased at about any home center. This type of roof over does not require the removal of your existing roof. If done as explained in Marks MH Repair Manuel it will show you how to acquire the over hang and to install traditional gutters. This manuel can be purchased on site at the Book/Parts link in the blue task bar above.

Welcome to the site. If you would please complete a profile. If you have further questions please start a new thread so we can help you specifically.

Thanks,

~Yanita~
archive

reroofing is good for the roofer just because thay dont need to rip it off but for yourself if thay are just going to shingle over your old shingles you new shingles wont be covered by a werenty......