Roof leaking around skylight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Bought a 20 year old redman in September. Hope to replace the roof this summer, BUT need a fast fix for now. Need something I can use on a wet roof. We live in Ohio & it might never stop raining. THANKS PK
archive

hello,if it is the origanal tin roof you canuse the wet or dry roof cement by gardner but dont forget the mesh. im a novice maybe a pro can come along and help u more jason..{home depot has this}
archive

Thanks for the reply. It's an asphalt shingle roof. I'll run to Lowes tomorrow & see what they have.
archive

gardner wet r dry is for asphalt shingles also i think that is what is originaly for.Check and make sure the plywood didnt come loose if it did screw it down..Jason
archive

Check any home center, they do have sealers that do work in the wet, the problem may be the temperature. Greg
archive

Here's some more advice, due to weather issues that may be heading your way!

If it hasn't started freezing in your area yet, get a tarp over the skylight and weigh it down with bricks or whatever! No sealant will work effectively in freezing temps.

If you've already got the freezing temps, do not attempt to get up on your roof! Deal with the leak inside. Just make sure to keep it off the floor! In other words, minimize damage inside.

Personally, I like neoprene for roof leaks. It can be found at any home store. It can be applied in in wet areas according to the tube, but I've never tried it. There is a temperature issue with it. I believe it needs to be applied in about 40 degree and above weather.

Maureen 8-)
archive

I've always just used a tube of the black roof sealer around sky lights and vents on a shingled roof. Of course you will want to scrape and peel up any of the old loose sealer with a putty knife before applying it.

If it is colder then what is reccommended in the directions to apply you can use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat up and dry out the area you are working on. You can also use it to cure the sealer faster. Just be careful to not get things to hot and of course DO NOT use a heat gun or blow dryer in the rain.