Garden tub question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I am having to replace a 40 x 54 garden tub that cracked in several places. Now I have to decide to go fiberglass or ABS whatever that means. The one we pulled out I believe was plastic since it was very light weight. Does anyone know which one is better. I have seen ABS garden tubs about 200.00 and up and fiberglass about 350.00 and up.
Thanks,
Margie
archive

Hi Margie,

This is just my opinion, but do yourself a favor and go for the fiberglass!

As you've already seen ABS or plastic, doesn't hold up well.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Margie, If you go to a homecenter, you can look at the way they are made. I think you will find that the fiberglass is built with much more support in the bottom. Greg
archive

Hi Margie,

I agree with Maureen and Greg.

I am a large person and I have large family members. Fiberglass is by far the stronger material.

Follow the manufacturers instructions on the installation and you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Harry
archive

Thank-you for your help. I called a few mobile home suppliers today and was told that they didn't make fiberglass tubs anymore but I found them on line and I did find one dealer that said he could order me one. I just have to call him Monday during regular business hours. He was out doing honey do's so he could watch the game later. lol
I am sure I will have lots of other questions as I go deeper into this mess I got myself into.
Thanks again,
Margie
archive

You can check with Lowes, Home Depot, any home center or Plumbing supply store in your area. Make sure of the size (many mobile homes use a smaller size tub) and make a few phone calls you may find that a quality tub is a special order if it is a smaller size. Greg
archive

Thanks Greg. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry Garden Tubs that I could see and the tub is I think 40 x 54. I found them online and I think I found someone who can order it for me. I find it cheaper to order it online myself.

Margie:hammer: