Electrical Problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

I hope this topic is okay here and if not, please feel free to move it wherever it goes. Here's the problem.

I was using a heavy duty extention cord that was plugged in under the trailer where the heat tapes normally plug in and blew the circuit. Went in the house, flipped all the switches and that didn't work. Opened the box that's on the pole by the trailer and flipped those switches and that didn't work either. Went to the main pole out by the road, opened that box and one of the switches was off. When I tried to flip it back on, sparks came out and it flipped itself back off. I have electric to part of the trailer but not the outlet I was using when this all happened and there's no electric in the bathroom and small bedroom so the problem is isolated to the one area.

Unplugged the cord I was using just in case that was the culprit and left everything alone for awhile and then later went out and flipped the switch on the main electric pole again. No sparks this time and it stayed on but still no electric. I opened the enclosed box where you can plug stuff in on the main pole and there are those little reset buttons there so I was going to push one of those but as my hand neared the button, sparks came out again. Now what do I do?
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi,

IMO, since this is on the poles I would call your utility company.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Busybee1952

I'm not sure if the stuff on the pole is my responsibility or the utility company's responsibilities. I was taking pictures of it today and noticed that the wheel on the meter isn't going around. That makes me think it might be THEIR problem. Course, my electric bill is rarely over $25.00 a month but it should move a little.

First picture is of the little box that is on the pole by the trailer. It's the switch on the right that is affected.

This is the main electric pole. The switch on the left and at the bottom is the one that sparked.

This is the plug in on the main pole with the reset buttons I was going to push but then it sparked too. It looks like the bottom holes are burnt to me.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi Pat,

Unfortunately I have learned nothing more about electricity. So with that in mind I really can not suggest anything further.

I do know that for us the service entrance (panel box) belongs to use and is our responsibility if something fails. The meter, the one with the dial belongs to the electric company.

Again, the best advice I can give you is to please call your local utility company, explain what is happening, from there they will tell you who owns what. They will repair if it is their responsibility, or tell you, you need to hire an electrician.

When we had work done to our service entrance recently it required a licensed electrician, he had to pull a permit and then it had to be inspected.

With that said let us know what happens when you call the electric company.

Yanita
hvac1000

The ground fault is defective. It is on your side of the utility so you will have to replace it. Replace with ground fault not regular outlet. if it is a leviton brand they are known to go bad. If not comfortable working with electric have someone fix it for you.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Busybee1952

Replaced the wires and the whole box with the plug in thingy at the main pole as the wires were corroded and burnt off. The metal box was also corroded but that didn't seem to be the problem afterall. Had electric for a little while and now it's off again. Something seems to be shorting out but I have no idea what it could be. What I'm really worried about is that somehow, I have put a screw in the wall from the outside that hit an electrical wire and if that is the case, I will never find it.
Yanita

Hi,

So sorry for your dilemmas, but I truly believe that now is the time to contact an electrician...

Yanita