Removing Broken Windows

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I'm working on a 15 y.o. prefab. home and want to remove 3 broken windows. They slide up and down inside the window frame. They have spring-loaded pins on the bottom corners to keep the window locked in place and on the top corners they have plastic guides.

I've tried squeezing the springloaded locking pins in as far as they will go, but the pins still hit the window frame, so I can't get these single-pane windows out. Any ideas how to remove these windows without prying the heck out of the frame? These are double hung windows, but they don't have any balance rods. The window sash is bronze aluminum as well as the muntin bars. Since there's only one pane of glass, the muntin bars are just for show, since they're not separating 2 panes of glass.
archive

Hit reply button 2 more times to post the 2 additional photos.

It's 1 pic per post, so 3 pics = 3 posts.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Have you ever opened them and if so, how long ago ?

If it's been awhile, most likely the home is out of level, as this will cause what you describe.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

It is hard to tell from the photos but USUALLY the way you remove the pane is by pulling the bottom out of the frame first, than after the bottom is out, lift it towards you until it is parallel to the floor and turn it to free the top. Greg
archive

Good advice. In this case, I'll try to free the top first, since the bottom pins seem to be jutting out into the frame more than the plastic guides on the upper corners.