Outdoor outlet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I have one outlet on the outside of my trailer and it's by the back door. Last year I ran cords under the trailer and up to the front deck so I could have Christmas lights. Late in December, the outlet quit working.

A friend of mine is going to take a look at it for me, but I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get an outlet put on the front side where my deck is? Anybody done this? Is it an expensive thing to have done? (because I'm not sure my friends free time would allow enough to tackle this project.)
archive

You may have tripped the GFCI protection. Look in the bathroom and see if you find a outlet that says test and reset. If you find it hit reset. An outlet can be added to any place you want on your mobile home. I suggest you run the wire under the house and Keep it off the ground by hanging from the frame. You can get a box that will bolt onto the outside bottom lip of the home at the skirt level or get a water proof box and put it right on the side of the bottom lip of the home. I would recommend that you use a GFCI circuit to make it safe for outside use.
archive

I have original (1975) outside outlets. One quit. Rotten wire caused by incoming moisture. I got that replaced and immedately caulked around it. No problems since.

Outlets can be installed anywhere you like but better on the outside wall of an inside outlet. Saves money.

:) Nicky T
archive

i installed one on the frt. end of house from the back side outlet by simply installing a encloser metal box by attaching the existing wire from it to the other end of house. just wire it in w/ wire nuts by their color. i insalled pvc pipe under the trlr. on the upper frame instead of installing it bare. crossing over the upper portion bare will cause it to gather moister & later rust through the insulation unless you install outside wiring that meets url standards. its dark grey not white. its a little more expensive but you won't have to spend that extra money for the pvc. its cheap though.
archive

Hi,

Since I am scared to play with electricity my advice is this...if resetting a GFCI did not fix the problem, and you have checked the breakers then hopefully your friend is an electrician.

Running a new or another line might not be all the difficult if you have the knowledge to do so safely.

Not everyone does this but remember if you upgrade electrical you are suppose to have a permit. Should anything happen such as a fire latter on due to upgrades with out a permit and inspection your insurance might not have to pay off.

Have a great night,

~Yanita~
archive

yeh! you got that right. should have mentioned that myself. i do alot of wiring at my work & have to do it by the book, especially commercial work. wired up a compressor & 2 oil heaters at work.
archive

I like to decorate outside with LOTS of lights. When i moved in with the better half I was surprised to find only ONE outside outlet. :cry: I have since added a Sub Electrical panel at the front end by the access door with 6 outside outlets on a contactor around the front on the block skirting. :-) The outlets are on 5 different 20 amp GFI circuits. Just inside the front door I added a "hand", "off"' "auto" controller switch. There is a time clock by this panel also. When the switch is in the "off" the front floodlights are controlled by a photocell. When the switch is in the "automatic" position The plugs come on when it gets dark AND the time clock is on (time clock does on at 4pm and off at 1am). When the time clock goes off the plugs get turned off and the flood lights come on. :-D The "hand" position turns the plugs on so I can check the lighting or use them for other times.