FLOORED !!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DannyBob

simply put :

... I plan to lay PRESSY-STICKY tile over the sheet Vinyl ..
??? other than a good cleaning, do I need any special PREP b4 doing the deed ...???
Yanita

Hi Danny Bob,

There are many threads about this in the Decorating forum.

There are a few things you need to make sure of before using peel and stick tiles. First off the quality of the tiles is important, I prefer the Novalis brand purchased at Lowe's.

You will need to make sure that the current vinyl is clean, and there are no holes, rips or tears in it. If there are then these will need to be repaired.

If there is an embossed pattern in the vinyl then really you should use a floor leveling compound to fill in the embossed design. If not over a short time your peel and stick tiles will press into the embossed areas, the design will bleed thru into the new tiles.

We do not recommend peel and stick tiles in the bathroom areas, and in the kitchen you need to wipe any spills immediately.

Check out the Decorating forum for other info or thoughts.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Brenda (OH)

Would the vinyl floor be that hard to remove? it may not be glued down. at least, the one I took up was not glued, and all I had to do was cut it at the base of the walls.

the thing is, if you pull the vinyl up, you can see if there is any hidden damage to the subflooring that is going to mess up the new flooring.

Brenda (OH)
Yanita

Hi,

We always recommend that peel and stick tiles be applied over a sheet vinyl if they are going to be used. The full sheet vinyl gives protection to any wood sub floor.

If you install peel and stick tiles on plywood or luan, (will not stick well to particleboard) you must remember that there are 4 unsealed edges per tile. This allows water in between possibly creating damage to the sub floor below.

Hopefully nobody would cover over a sub floor that has damage. Soft spots, holes or waviness are all signs of a bad floor.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Yanita said it all.
The previous owner removed all the carpeting from the Kitchen, Dining room, Living room and hall areas and put down Place & Stick, apparently right over the sub flooring.

Looked great for a while, but now, after walking over it for 7 months, you can see Lumps and Ridges popping up like nails and uneven plywood edges where repairs were made.
There maybe some cockroach bodies under there too.

Do it the right way first.
Costs a little more, takes a little longer, but it is well worth it.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.