No ground moisture barrier

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

This is my first mfg. home to own, I didn't know anything about a ground moisture barrier until I read about here recently. I contacted the company who I purchased the 're-po' home from and who did the setup, they say since it was not a new installation that they were not required to install the moisture barrier as part of the setup.
I have since installed the 6-mil ground moisture barrier myself.
Here's my question/concern:
My home has been sitting here for ~2 years without the barrier, what damage might have been done and what should I keep an eye open for?
Thanks for any info.
archive

Hi, Looking at your photos I don't think not having a ground moisture sheet for 2-years will matter at all if you have had adequate ventilation - and it looks like you do. To carry this point a bit further - if you don't live on top of a swamp - why is the ground sheet needed at all? The home undoubtedly has a vapor barrier in the floor and with adequate ventilation moisture and earth gases should not be a problem. I raise this point because I remember when they brought in the ground vapor barrier rule and I had to wonder if the rule-makers had bought stock in plastic. It's one of my pet peeves. Enlightenment anyone? Lloyd
archive

Well, not sure that I can enlighten anyone...

But you really do not need to be in a swamp to have a moisture barrier. Yes, your home is suppose to have the under belly material that is a vapor barrier as well, I agree.

BUT, I find if you do not have a new home or maintained yours exceptionally well throughout the years then it is damaged. Therefore allowing evaporating ground water to rise to the bottom of your home. Every home invariably will have some sort of ground moisture.

There used to be a pic somewhere on this forum that showed how well a moisture barrier really works, there was alot of condensation under that plastic. All things considered, as cheap as a roll of plastic is I definitely want it under my home, and do. Also, it keeps us much cleaner when going "down under for inspections".

Also in North Carolina it is code, regardless if it is new set up or existing...my insurance company asked about it and required a photo....state of Vermont is now requiring full slabs, for new and used set ups.

Hey Lloyd, good hearing from you again...as I said I doubt I can enlighten you on anything mobile home related, LOL, just thought I would offer an opinion.

Happy New Year!:pint:

~Yanita~
archive

I think this is the picture you're thinking of Yanita.
If I remember, it's not too humid in Texas.
My 1976 Newport sat for God knows how long without the vapor barrier (there were some remnants of what may have been when I bought it). There was a lot of damage to the belly. Some from critters, some from obviously plumbing repairs, and some just from old age I guess.
I did notice (I have a hygrometer) that the humidity in my home went from 70% down to 45% after I put the vapor barrier down.
Brucetrout
archive

Thats the one!!!:-D

Thanks for the repost of the pic, just a real good reminder of why I advocate the vapor barrier.

Thanks,

Happy New Year!

~Yanita~
archive

Hi

Probably another area specific issue.

My 19 yr old DW has no ground moisture barrier and all is bone dry down under.

About a year ago I researched the dealers in this area and they are not pro vapor barrier. Like Lloyd they promote lots of ventilation.

Harry