Bathroom Ceiling Fan

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Wow, this sure has changed from when I first starting reading this site many many years ago and the look of the forum is very professional. Congrats!

I started remodeling my second bathroom about seven years ago, pushed out the adjoining closet, installed a separate shower, bathtub with jets, new sinks, large window and a new toilet. What is left is the installation of a ceiling fan as there is not ventilation due to the type of window we installed.

I purchased a fan which the electrician could not install because it needs to be vented either through the wall or roof. I don't see how this can be done through the wall so I guess we need to go through the roof. Has anyone installed one of these types of fans if yes how hard was it? If I need to call a professional, who would I call?

archive

If you are going thru the roof you will need a roof termination cap for the size of pipe it uses. Probably 3 or 4 inch round. I do not know of any special caps for mobile homes but a regular house unit with a flap should work that is of you have a pitched roof. If your roof is not pitched that could be a problem. Also be sure you use the proper caulk to bead the cap in otherwise it will leak. I think the caulk sealer is available in the parts store on this site.
archive

Gonz you've brought up an interesting question. In this coming spring I hope to remodel my bathroom and one item I would like to add is a ceiling exhaust fan. Since this old S.W. home has no eaves and thus no soffit in which to facilitate the exhaust I wondered about simply venting it up thru the roof. It seems a simple enough endeavor..and yet..life is not always that simple I have found. I look forward to any advice you might obtain and will consider it this coming spring. Until then my friend. Audie...the oldfart!
archive

Since my question was answered by a HVAC person, is this the type of professional I should call for installation?
Yes, I have a pitched roof and knew I would need some type of vent cap, so thanks for the added info.

I will keep you posted as soon as the holidays are over and things get back to normal.:lol:
archive

Usually HVAC companys do duct work and roof penetrations. I would call a mobile home service company and get an estimate.
archive

Just replaced mine...not a huge job as the wiring was already there...go for the highest cfm rating you can. I think I got a 120 cfm. My mirrors don't fog up when I have a hot shower any more. A real good sign it is working. It vents through the roof, pitched and shingled. Got the roof part at the build it store where I bought the fan. Wasn't too hard to put in as I had to replace part of the roof and reshingle anyway (long story). The flashing at the highest part of the roof goes under the shingles, a few roofing nails, roof tar/sealant, good to go.

Jim
archive

Update - Just had the HVAC company come out to install the roof vent and unit in the ceiling. Now I guess I need an electrician because the unit has an extra wire for the light and I can't figure out how to make the connections.

Thank you for your help. Contractor wanted to mount the whole ventilation w/light on the outside wall which would have been ok as far as the venting the bathroom but ugly to the overall look of the room.