roof repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

hello.I live in a 1998 28x60 Fleetwood doublewide.About a year ago the roof over 2nd bathroom started leaking (i thought)around the exhaust fan.I then bought some liquid roof repair and sealed around the exhaust fan.still leaked so I sealed the shingles in a diameter on the side and above the fan,still didn't work.So during that time the leak has completely ruined the ceiling.Ive decided to just go ahead and replace the roof.My question is this;the house has asphalt shingles and I thought about instead of tearing the old roof off,just putting new shingles on top of the old ones or what do you guys recommend?
archive

Unfortunately it would be best to take old shingles off, as many here will tell you the weight will be one of the biggest factors when it comes to this. It really depends on a few things, like size of trusses, sidewalls... It could put undue stress on the outer walls causing them to 'sag'. Another factor you should consider is the extent of the water damage, you might have to open up ceiling to see if there's any mold, replace any insulation that got damaged...etc... I know not what you wanted to hear. As an alternative you could go to the new metal roofing which basically lasts forever or a very long time in other words. It's more expensive but IMO worth it. I'm sure others will chime in with any other advice they can offer.
archive

Hi,

IMO, RG has given you the proper info and reasons. You really need to remove the shingles and ascertain where the the leak is. Its a given since your ceiling is ruined you will need to do a complete inspection of your trusses in that area and remove and replace all damaged insulation and check for any mold issues.

The roof that RG mentioned you can review in the Articles link in the blue task bar above. In the event that your home does not already have at least a 6 inch overhang and traditional gutters this application will easily allow you to do so. Yes, it may cost a little more up front, but would surely last a lot longer. LOL, when our shingles need replacing this is the route we are going...already got the color decided.

OOPS...Welcome to the forum! Now that you found us please take the time to get to know your way around there is alot of info here for the taking. Check out all the links in the blue task bar at the top of the page, posting tips to the Repair forum and the HVAC forum.

There are several hidden links, go to the navigation menu and click the links to profiles, on site searches, user controls etc are there.

It is really helpful to everyone if you post a profile...this will be all the possible info you know about your home. Some questions ultimately become area specific so we like to know the state you reside as well. Your also welcome to post any info about yourself that you would like.

Now would be a great time to purchase Mark's (owner of the site) MH Repair Manuel. For the nominal fee it will save you lots of aggravation in the future. This manuel also gives instruction to do the metal roof over!:-D

Glad you found us and look forward to helping you in the New Year, and your contributions to the site as well!

Happy New Year!

~Yanita~
archive

I may be getting in a little late on this thread. Lot's of Holiday Cheer and visitors.

Yes, I would definitely remove the existing shingles. As the other posts mention, it is best to get a visual on the condition of the roof sheathing and the additional weight is a big factor. Also the second layer of shingles will last considerably less than a fresh install. The soft bed that the original shingles create will not allow consistent nail pressure when using pneumatic nailers or staplers. This will cause some shingles to come loose prematurely or have some fasteners stick up or work their way up over time. The original shingles will also retain a lot of the heat from those sunny days, which will also shorten the life of the new shingles.

I highly recommend using a roof underlayment like Ice & Water Shield or WeatherLock installed on the eaves, around all vents and openings and hip/valleys if have them. This alone can add years to the life of a composition shingle roof on a mobile home.

Hope this helps,
JD