Tie. . . downs?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jwoozy

I did a search, but I couldn't find anything seemingly relevant - probably using the wrong search terms.

Okay. My trailer is not tied down. I have a *very* vague idea of what "tied down" means - but I'm not positive and I don't want to screw up my question with bad terminology.

From what I understand, (my father says) the straps ON the trailer that the tie downs tie to, or go around - (I'm not sure how they work) are rusted almost completely through.

What do I do? How does this thing get tied down? How does this work?

Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated!
Yanita

Hi,

I will give you a link, once there scroll down until you see Anchors and Tie downs...

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/diagram.htm

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Busybee1952

Are you on a cement slab or just dirt? I can send you pictures of the tiedowns that were installed on my home in Michigan which is on cement. If you have any work to do under there though, try to do it before you get it tied down because those things really get in the way and they really hurt when you bump into them.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
jwoozy

My home is on blocks, on dirt, Busybee.

I read the link Yanita gave, and at least understand better how they work. What I do not know, is what I'm supposed to do if the straps the tie downs attach to ON the trailer are rusted. In a few minutes, I'm going to call around and see about having someone come look at this because I'm at the end of my rope with it.
Busybee1952

I think these tie downs can be attached directly to the frame so it won't matter if the straps are rusted. Not exactly sure what they did attach mine too but I know they didn't use the straps that are provided for this purpose.
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Yanita

Hi,

You will need to call a qualified company to have these tie downs installed since you are not knowledgeable of them.

There are codes that dictate how this is done for every area. And I think certain homes have different requirements.

My home has tie downs that go from the steel beams to the ground, and I also have the straps that run in the exterior walls and secure to the ground.

I am not sure about replacing any that are rusted that may run up into the walls but the ones from the steel beams can be replaced.

Yes, these need to be repaired, and should be done as soon as possible, but unless you live in a hurricane/tornado area, or other high wind area I would not panic. Take your time, find a qualified company to do this and you will be fine.

Hey Harry, got any links or other info to help with this one?

Yanita
JD
Site Admin

Hi jwoozy,

I agree with Yanita about having a pro give you a price. There are several different designs of tie-downs and I am not sure what they would be looking for in your part of Ohio.

But generally, you will have an auger bit driven into the ground. There would be a connector to hold the strap to the auger and the other end of the strap would have a metal hook that hooks to the mobile home's frame. Some variation will have a secondary ground auger embedded in concrete. Some use long metal stakes that are driven into the ground with a sledge hammer.

With your situation, you may only need to replace the strap part. A mechanic type person could probably replace the strap. It is pretty straight forward. You can find replacement straps and other parts at
http://www.mobilehomepartsstore.com/Mer ... ry_Code=TD

If you do need the entire unit replaced, the ground anchor and all, again it would be best to have them installed by a pro to be sure what you get installed is up to current code. Also, the ground augers require a special machine to screw them into the ground.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

Your concern is valid. Tie-down straps can rust through and thus be ineffective.

I agree with Yanita and JD a pro should replace them. In Florida this requires a Manufactured Housing Installers License.

You might be able to save some money by removing and replacing the skirting yourself.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

I agree with Yanita, JD and Harry. Your local codes play a big part on how your tie downs are installed. These are both very important for both your home and your insurance policy!

I know out here our tie downs are for both high winds and have some sort of a earthquake thing attached. Can't think of the correct term right now. I'm sure that JD knows it!

But yeah, they are very area specific!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
JD
Site Admin

Seismic pier, also known as Earthquake Thing
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

Hi,

Well it seems that the mods here are in agreement that you need to call a pro and get this done properly.

So with that I will consider this thread answered and lock it off, should you have further questions please start another thread.

Yanita