releveling doublewide.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I talked to a man today who has been a contractor here for 35 yrs,,and is fully insured etc. I asked him about levelling doublewides etc. The answer he gave me on many things were much more satisfactory than the "TEXT BOOK" answers. But what do I know,,i have only read Marks book. Greg,,would love you to chime in on this one. The unsatisfactory answer he gave me on levelling one was to use a laser or line to level frame. Many other answers I liked better than "TEXT". He stated he liked SOLID blocks for blocking piers,,he liked his wood shims to be the entire width of concrete blocks, he knew the proper venting spacing on house,,depth of piers etc. He said he liked to beef the foundations up better than code called for. "No foundation or roof,,no house" His words. He lived in a singlewide for yrs with rooms built on etc. I know of him,,he isnt just a fly by niter. What do you all think?
archive

Hi lefties

Yep a good laser level can be accurate and can be used to level a home. If you had the make and model you could look up the accuracy. An example of a good laser level accuracy might read + or - 1/8 inch at 100 feet. The down side of a good level is the high inital cost.

A water level like Mark recommends is low cost and highly accurate.

Harry

PS: There are still very good installers that still use water level to re-level.
archive

Thx Harry,,cmon ya"ll chime in here!!
archive

Hi,

When one poses a question aimed at another specific individual some of us tend to stay away from the thread until it has been answered by the one you requested. Then we will "chime" with either our own opinions or facts.

I have to agree with Harry one the laser level. As he stated a "good" one is alot of money. Also as stated the water level is very inexpensive and very accurate, so why not use one?

During your conversation with person did he once recite code, specific to your area. Then and only then will you know what he can offer or do to actually "beef up" your piers.

My piers are a combination of solid and CMU block. All shims are hardwood. LOL, they do not go the entire length of the block in most cases, but they do go entirely under the frame. In other words at no time is the frame resting on block.

When mentioning vents, did he cite how many are recommended within so many square feet?

It sounds as though you had a great repor with the man so that is a plus, sounds as though you trust him as well, this is all in your favor.:-D

However, you said something about "text", sorry I can not view your post from hear to see exactly what it said. If you own Mark's manuel I suggest you familiarize yourself with Exterior Chapter 21, releveling. Although "text" it does have lots of clear pics that are a wonderful visual aid.

Ok, with all that said, check your local codes, and regardless of who does the work get everything in writing, check for insurance, bonding etc. Get pics before, during and after.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

Have a great night!

~Yanita~
archive

Hey Lefties,

Have to agree with Yanita on this one.

Yeah, a laser level can be used.... but it has to be top of the line and used by a professional. Mark's book, or manual refers to DYI applications. Personally, I trust a water level under the home, but that's just me, and the area that I live in.

I'd be much more concerned about the code in your area, etc. Yeah, codes are all text, but they are very important to your home, and your family!

Let us know what happens!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi,

A water level is the cheapest, easiest and most accurate way to level your home.

Another thing I love about it is the necessity to go to each pier up close, great opportunity to spot other problems with piers, shims, belly,etc.. .

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner, I kept loosing Internet connection last night.
Yes a laser is very accurate HOWEVER there are 2 types of laser levels available. the first is your "basic" bubble level with a laser aimed from the end. you could in fact set this on the frame and level the entire length of your home. Now remember that you have 4 frame rails, How are you going to make sure that all 4 rails are level across the width as well as the length?
The second type is a tripod type that sends a spinning dot around the perimeter, you simply work from the dot as a measurement point. This style is intended for construction & grading where you have a clear line of sight for the dot. the problem with this setup is that you need to set up the tripod under the middle of the home and take your measurements from the center. I am sure that somewhere between the center & the ends of your home you will have obstacles that block the laser such as piers, pipes and electrical.
A water level has the water contained in a tube that can go around piers and other objects.
So, a water level may not be as high tech as a laser, but for this application, it will do a better job.
Hope this helps. Greg
archive

All the replies are greatly appreciated. I know he has a laser just for everyday use,,as did the guy who originally sat this home in here. He knew the codes for air vents etc in my area,,piers etc. Finding anyone in this rural area to do this work is hard to come by. I appreciate the help folks,,and dont anyone hesitate to respond plz.:lol:
archive

Hi Lefties,

With the info that you have, the manuel and your knowledge you will do fine. Again, just make sure that code has been followed.

On a side note how has the water diversion been on your home. Where you or a contractor able to install catch basins or did you move your home. Sorry to change the subject, feel free to start anew thread and fill us in on what you did or had done.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Yanita,,didnt do any more yet as winter hit. Im going to try something else in the spring,,maybe catch basins or dry well-possibly even small pond out front deeper than house foundation.
archive

Hi Leftie,

If I remember correctly you had a small stream running under your home at one time. Hopefully you an get this water tended to before you do the relevel.

Our catch basins have been doing the trick for us thankfully. Since this is our first winter and we get alot of rain, we have discovered yet another area, thankfully not near the house so not damaging anything, just a PITA as it is were everyone parks..BUT me LOL.

Going to put in a fairly large catch basin, on the lower side and the water output side we are going to pipe it about 35 feet away into an existing drainage ditch in the back of the property. Hopefully this will cure all the water drainage issues we have incurred since buying the place.

Hopefully then we can complete the driveway with a sub base in that area and then order about 15 yards of concrete.

Good luck and let us know what you do in the spring!

~Yanita~
archive

I was thinking of trying to raise trout?:-D:-D
archive

ROFL!!!:lol::lol:

Water can be so hard to redirect, especially when your home is in the path.

Good luck with the trout pond LOL.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Lefties,

Yeah, depending on your situation, a catch basin or french drain should work very well.

We had a river run through our home last year, dang if I could have fished it, it would have paid for the damage it cost us LOL! Our fix was easier, just a dry creek bed to divert the water away from the home.

It still would be way cool to go out back and fish any time we wanted!

Maureen 8-)