Furnace Ducts In Ceiling?!?!? Need Help Here Guys!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Now, we have some really good friends that live up the street from us. The own a 1971...72' mobile. They always call me for advice. Well, tonight they called and we're talking about heating more efficiently. We do have those $500.00 a month heat bills out West here. We got talking about frozen pipes, and the hubby mentioned that he's been letting the water drip at night. I gave him the stern warning about the sewer pipes freezing, etc. Not a good idea. I went through the speal about keeping the pipes warm with the furnace, because all of our pipes run along our heating ducts. He burst out LOL! He reminded me that his house was the really weird mobile home that has all of the duct work in the ceiling!!!!! I totally forgot about that. It's a 71' 72 model, doublewide. The heat vents, and the swamp cooler vents through the ceiling! All vents are on the ceiling! I have no idea where the ducts are located, since this is a flat roof home? Must be a really tight fit!

Anyone out there ever seen this type of home, in cold weather country? I've lived here for 51 years, and this is a first!

So here's my question. How does he keep his pipes from freezing? He's got a tight belly, he's got heat tape on exposed pipe. He's got one exposed area of missing skirting, we will be taking care of that tomorrow.

Any other ideas will be gratefully welcomed right now! I have a really funny feeling that we will be having one of those below 0 Winters. Like all of us, they are on a tight budget right now. The wife has been out of work due to illness.

Any help is much appreciated!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi Maureen,

I have yet to find one or get called to one since squatting here over 5 1/2 years ago.

I had been in them before, but never had a thought about the the pipes back then.

Just as you can see under your furnace wher it connects to belly duct, you can look above the furnace to see where it connects to attic duct.

Same with the registers, just as floor registers, remove grille and use mirror and light to look at dutwork.

As for pipes, either they were meant to be individually insulated, belly WELL insulated, home not meant for COLD weather or they have a small pipe or two run back down through wall to belly area providing warm air for pipes.

I could find this out fairly easy IF my brain would engage when the opportunity arises, LOL.

Anyways, that's my take on it.

BTW, IF you HAVE to run the water, run it steady, no drips.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

It may have be designed along the lines of a stick built, with the idea that with a tight enough underbelly and a warm enough floor there should not be a problem. Just a thought. Greg
archive

Forgive me if this is a stupid idea.....since the sewer lines are apt to freeze if you leave water drip, why can't you let the water drip into the bathtub and drain it in the morning? I have no idea how much water would accumulate overnight so maybe that's not feasible either.

And I've never seen a MH with ducts in the ceiling either.
archive

I am thinking along the same lines as Greg. I have seen MHs with ceiling ducts, but never had to mess with them. Never had a ceiling job on them. With a sub-freezing low temp here being 30-31, I have never had to deal with freezing pipes, except for the 1/4" cooler lines on roofs. Wish I could help.

JD
archive

Now that I think about it one of the construction site trailer that we clean uses an overhead system, never paid any attention as to how the plumbing is run either. Greg
archive

Maureen...I made it just to the point where you mentioned $500 per. mo. heating bills. That's when I passed out! I take it you're quite serious...$500 a month!! (thump...feet above head..still reeling!) M'am..I shall never complain again about my cost of heating. Ever! Now as I understand..the heating system flows thru the ceiling/attic area and yet the water pipes are below the floor. Is that correct? So far I have been quite fortunate..no frozen pipes yet..moderate weather. Still..it baffles we what the manufacturers were thinking? Well, I'll ponder this a bit and get back to ya'll. Audie..dazed and confused...
archive

Hi Maureen

Very interesting topic.

I had a home in Davie Fl with ducts in the ceiling. Worked great.

The fellow down the road from me just got a NEW Nobility Homes DW and it has ducts in the ceiling. This one was make in Ocala, Fl.

The photo below is from a Nobility Homes ad on the internet. See the duct in the ceiling.

Harry
archive

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the input! After looking at the home better, it belongs to friends, I've deducted that this was a renovation. It has to be! The ceiling has been sheet rocked and now has pop corn ceilings. It's a '71 or '72 home. This home has had a lot of modifications, so it stands to reason that for some reason they redid the heating ducts and moved them to the ceiling.

Here's my thought on the situation. A few of the homes here that are older and well kept were bought as vacation homes for the area years ago. We do live in a tourist designation. I'm thinking that someone used that home in the Summer for the most part. Even the swamp cooler is ducted into the heating vents. Very efficient for our 110 degree heat during the Summer. Doesn't work too well for our below zero temps in the Winter though!

They've been fighting this issue for years. They just broke down this year and asked why their pipes are always freezing. Well, we all know now! Our home is only a year or two older, but we've never had a pipe freeze! He's replaced heat tape every year and done all the right things... he just had no idea that the pipes should be near the heating ducts!

They've decided that they will be in the market for a new home. They have the property almost paid off, and plenty of equity to cover it. Neither are in great health and he can just barely keep up maintaining everything that goes wrong in an older home. They moved in about 14 years ago. Everything looked pretty, but obviously a few mistakes were made a long the way. This last one is sort of the hair that broke the camel's back.

Harry, Like I said, during the Summer, their home is always cool... too cool for me! I mild climates it stands to reason that it would work better, as heat rises. It just doesn't work in zero temps during the Winter LOL! Bad news there!

It would be okay, if they had left the old ducts accessible. Instead they redid the floors, in plywood, but covered up the old ducts!

It's a good lesson for anyone taking on renovations. 1. Get to know manufactured housing very well before picking up a hammer. 2. Know the area that you are living in really well!

Thanks again guys and gals!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi Maureen

Ducts in the ceiling must be a southern thing.

Just got a reply from the oldest and most respected MH dealer in out area. I think they were shut down for the holidays. Seems like everyone down here offers ducts in the ceiling. Here's the reply:

HI Harry

Thank you emailing Acme Homes II... You question is what manufactures have ceiling ducts for cooling and heating. We have 3 manufacturers here at Acme Homes. They are Homes of Merit, Horton and Skyline. All 3 offer ceiling air ducts in all there Homes. If you have anymore questions please fell free to email anytime

Have a Happy New Year

Gary Benson
archive

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the info! Yeah, it must be a Southern thing! No way any right minded person would run the heating ducts in the roof of a home here! Like I said, this is a '71 year home. After looking closer, you can tell it's been renovated... big time! It works wonderful in the Summer time when hit triple digits, but the Winter, when we dip well below freezing, it just doesn't work.

This is a perfect example of are specific problems! We also live in the high desert. That equates to triple digits in the Summer, and well below 0 in the Winter.

Thanks for the help! These folks have decided to buy a new home that suits our area in the Spring LOL!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Hi Maureen

I agree. In a cold climates you want your plumbing near the furnace ducts....down under. Read tooo much on this forum about frozen plumbing.

Harry