Hot water heater question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

annie

:lol: Hello,

I did a search and did not see this topic. As part of seasonal maintenance I decided to drain the hot water heater. Just somewhere sometime I had heard that this makes it last longer.

Okay-this is a 40 gallon Satellite sealed gas hot water heater.

Procedure: I shut off the water at the hot water heater. I hooked up the hose to the bib and snaked this outside. Before starting the setting was moved to pilot and as low a temp as possible.
Next, opened the faucet in the kitchen until the water stopped. Not long at all and that is my confusion. Where is all the water? Some water did go outside via the hose-opened after the faucet, but not gobs of gallons like expected.

So-how much water should come out? And-is it necessary to do this at all? Does it help?

Thanks,

Annie
Archie

You should drain the heater only enough to remove the sediment that builds up in it a couple times a year. Usually when you start the draining process the water will be a dirty brown color and clear up as the sediment is flushed. You should also check your safety valve on the water heater to ensure it is operating properly. I like to both at the same time just because it is easier. Of course only follow this if the line attached to your safety valve is directed outside as code dictates. Otherwise you may have to try other faucets until the tank can get air pressure needed to drain.

Shut off incoming water.
Turn gas off or to pilot.
Once hose is hooked to drain bib at bottom of heater and routed outside or to a bucket open that valve.
Raise the safety valve to allow air to enter (ONLY IF THIS LINE IS DIRECTED OUTSIDE THE HOME). You should hear the tank bubbling and the water start draining. Once done allow the safety to snap back down to its off position and check it for leaks.

Remember the higher the setting on your water heater the quicker you can become burned. It only takes a few seconds and it can be life threatening. Please wear safety glasses and gloves while performing this task.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
wes

it's entirely possible that the drain is plugged with "sediment".
annie

Thanks for the responses. I did a little more of a search online and one site says to open the pressure relief valve in order to properly drain it. Archie you noted the safety valve check- maybe that is why not too much water came out? The heater is working okay-4 years old. No problem noted at this time. Just trying to get the most out of it.

Annie