Heat tape?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jaie

I did search the archives, and the current posts, and didn't find what I wanted to know. And I hope this is the right section, since really this is a plumbing issue. The water and electric are not yet hooked up, and the person hooking up the water wants heat tape before he does even one thing. Now, it was suggested I get something called "Frost 2X". Now I have searched and searched for info on this stuff (I have a location to get it, but being me, I want to read up on it and see what the big deal is) and I cannot find one thing out about it. The guy who moved the trailer claims that this stuff is the best out there, and that the usual heat tape used is very bad for trailers and has a habit of shorting out and causing fires. Apparently, the Frost 2X is sold by the foot/yard and you install the connectors. Anyone know anything about this stuff? Or better yet point me to the manufacturers website?
Yanita

Hey Jaie,

JMO, here but sounds like maybe he wants to charge a little extra, about everyone I know that lives in a MH uses the traditional heat tapes. I have lived in 3 different mobiles over the past 20 years and never have we had a problem with them.

Installation per manufacturers instruction is required though. I asked my Hubby about this and he has no info about it, never used that brand. He did however say that generally (at least in our area) that tapes bought like that, adding your own connectors are bought to cover an extended length.

Mybe others have more info, or reasons for what your guy wants to do...

Good luck!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

The landlord, who is installing the water and sewage is not charging. There is no added bills here. And it's not a mandatory thing. But the guy who dropped the new home on the pad was the one who suggested the product.

But, I've now learned, that if people do not have the name right, you aren't going to find out a darn thing. The product is called Frost TEX and sells for $2.29 a foot and you buy connectors for it.

Now to figure out how much I need to get.
Greg

Jaie, I have had that type of tape, it is wraped in a stainless steel braid. Mine lasted 10yrs I only changed it to prevent any problems. Here in Auburn the only place that has it is HEP, Not sure if they have a store your way or not. you may be able to order it from Blivens in Syracuse if you can't find it in Oswego. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

We have it at Burke's luckily. $2.29 a foot. I checked online and could get it for $1.60 a foot, but after shipping and handling I'd only save around $3 total. I estimated offhand for 20 feet. To be honest, I've no idea how much I need.
Archie

I also have the steel braided heat tape, good stuff and lasts for years.

Just be careful to follow the instructions when installing. Some heat tapes run along the pipe some wrap around it every so many inches. Some you can overlap some you can't. The biggest thing though is insulation, some heat tapes reccommend that you DO NOT use the foam pipe insulation but rather the fiberglass because of fire issues.

Not to scare anyone, just be sure to read and follow the instructions and all will be fine.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Greg

I forgot about Burke's. thay used to have about anything, A true "General store" Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean2

2ya I installed the traditional type h-tape,coiled it with 3-4" spaces i guess and added the black foam pipewrap.I bought the tape long and dropped the extra 3' or so down into the tube/liner the water feed use to run into the ground and plugged the top of that with fiberglass insulation. Also wrapped the in-line valve (except for the valve handle of course). Later We upgraded My breaker box from the old 50amp to a new 100amp and put the heat tapes' outlet(underneath home)on a dedicated circuit,,now I can switch the tape on/off at the breaker whenever I think I need to without shutting down a needed circuit..
I wish I could remember the brand of tape but just ca'nt and did'nt save the package for referance either.
Being in NE IA with wind chills well into the negative digits I took pains to make it both effective and easy to use..One thing that could be changed is adding a switch so the breaker does'nt need to be touched but as long as it's just Me here it's ok as is..

Dean