a/c heater register noisey

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

i have a intertherm furnace which makes a thump type noise when motor come to a stop. sounds like the register canal duct collapsing or bending. only does it in the back of house far away from the furnace only does it when it goes off not when it comes on. hav'nt had a chance to check it with the a/c on cause i have a bad thermostat. also seems it does not get hot enough through the registers, just warm. hope i don't have a leak somewhere. too cold to get out under the trlr. no pics at this time but if needed will arrange to get some later.
archive

I would turn the power off and check the blower motor and squirrel cage fan that the motor is attached to.It should not be loose. Also check the motor mounting bracket. The duct problem if there is one will not be easy to correct because it is buried in the floor with only the register area available for inspection. The rest of the duct is under the home covered by the belly material and probably insulation.
archive

Duct noise is quite common, In an attempt to cut costs manufacturers have made things cheaper. Ducts today are really not much more than heavy duty aluminum foil, and you know how much support that has. If the noise is only in one area I would doubt it is from the furnace, but you should check it to be sure. About the only way to solve the duct problem would be to open up the underbelly and add more support to the duct. Greg
archive

thanks for the input.but i know its from the duct not the furnace. ithought there might be a easy fix just like when you fix sqeaks in floors. might just have to live w/ it. its a 88 model trlr.16x60.
archive

The only quick fix might be if the problem is near enough to a register to reach through the opening. Greg
archive

Hi

My '88 DW makes duct (oil canning) noise when the heater comes on.

Can't mess with it too much....them ducts is real thin.

Harry
archive

i found the source. the tin plates i installed in frt. of the a/coil that i replaced awhile back were not secured well enough, causing them to flex. secured them together w/ the aluminum tape. so it was not directly in the ducts after all. thanks for all your replies. have a merry xmas & a happy & very safe new year.
archive

Glad you got it resolved.

~Yanita~
archive

just decided to live w/ the noise. don't have any idea how to do away w/ the aluminum tape i used to patch the new panels when i installed the new a-coil kit. came w/ differant style tin panels you piece together. sorta like putting a puzzle together.