Installing pergo - uneven marriage line

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Is it possible to install pergo in the family room, where there is a marriage line? The floor isn't totally level. Had them come back after install, which made it much better. Now 3 years later, it seems a little uneven again. I don't think the floor strips will hold for long that way.

btw the 3 year old carpet is starting to shred! Arrg!
archive

The first thing I would do is find out what is going on with the two halves. It sounds to me like something may have shifted, it may be time to have the home re leveled. After you are sure everything is level Pergo (or any laminate) is a great choice of flooring. Greg
archive

Hi Scottman

How’s that neat garden pond doing?

Greg is correct on the checking the level.

I would suspect your MH was not installed correctly and then not corrected properly.

If your floor is misaligned at the marriage line it is probably going to stay that way unless the halfs get rejoined. You may be able to fill/patch the problem cosmetically.

Here is some explaination:

Usually the heavier half of the home is put in postion and properly supported. A sill sealer is applied. Then the lighter half of the home is jacked/lifted/rolled next to the heavier half , supported and aligned. Then the floor, ridge beam and end walls are joined with LOTS OF LAG SCREWS AND BOLTS. Typically the floors are joined by 3/8"x3" (4-1/2" lags with double perimeter joist) lag screws 2 feet on center.

Do you have Mark Bower’s Repair and Upgrade Manual? Laminate flooring is covered in Chapter 4.

Good Luck.

Harry
archive

Thanks for the replies. I think before we put in pergo or other flooring, we'll have it releveled by a competent installer. I know our initial crew was not, and I've already beat a dead horse, so I'm not losing more hair like I did on the first 6 months here. I know if they can locate the lag bolts under the floor, then even up the floor in our "family room" then relag with LOTS of bolts, it should be ok. I guess I've heard about floors not always being perfectly level, so I was wondering how much uneven the floor can be before the pergo floor doesn't hold. The carpet has some life left, although with 2 dogs "preferring" that area, its getting pretty worn. That carpets been shampood quite a bit in that area, so its getting stretched out.

btw we had fish in the garden pond but it was attracting raccoons looking for a quick meal, so we just put water plants in it. It was sure fun sitting outside by the bonfire thruout the summer. Can't wait til next summer, but I can't complain about the 50's in January near Chicago either.
archive

You could contact pergo and pose the question to them and see what their thoughts are. Greg
archive

I checked on this... it seems like if the floor isn't level the pieces will dislodge. There's about a 10 foot stretch that our initial setup crew said they "couldn't relevel" I think they said because of a pier underneath. The difference is just about 1/4 inch. They also admitted there wasn't enough lag bolts the "first time". Didn't make sense to me then, not being knowledgeable about mh setup. Now it makes sense to me, they could have moved the pier, but ran out of time. Since this is the only bad spot, I think Mark's leveling compound will suffice. After rechecking, the floor hasn't shifted any over the last few years so this may be the way to go. I'm afraid if I pay someone to relevel just for this one area, they could screw something else up - I've become naive I guess. GO BEARS!