gurgling sound in pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

when my wife does the laundry & its in the spin cycle & draining the gurgling sound comes up through our kitchen sink. is that something i have to live with? could there be a restriction in my vent pipe? the pipe is grey 2" type that goes directly from the washer drain over to the sink & then tees off to the main line.i suspect its normal to make that noise when the dishwasher is draining since its right next to the sink. is there something i can do to fix this?
archive

I believe you might have to live with this situation. Plastic drain lines do make some sounds especially when a large volume appliance like a washing machine is in the drain cycle. Gurgling as you call it can also be from a lack of sufficient venting. My home has air admittance valves that allow the drain to function without a pipe going to the roof and I will have to admit it is a bit less noisy since I installed the air admittance system to my home. I have been known to do a lot of plumbing in my time but it would be next to impossible to tell you how to do it without being there.
archive

If you have the under the counter style vents you could try unscrewing the vent when the washer drains and see if it makes a difference, if it does you may want to think about adding a roof vent. Just remember to put the vent back after the washer has drained. Greg
archive

Quoted From: Greg

If you have the under the counter style vents you could try unscrewing the vent when the washer drains and see if it makes a difference, if it does you may want to think about adding a roof vent. Just remember to put the vent back after the washer has drained. Greg
thanks greg, the only vents i see on top of the home is at the baths areas. the dishwasher is a built in style w/ a drain hose going into the existing drain pipe. no vent. its a whirlpool brand. starting to get a little noisey when in the filling cycle though. i believe the pump is getting ready to go south. makes a loud moaning sound. it does fill though. i'm pretty good at repairing appliances. probably be replacing it soon. thanks for your comments.