Installing dishwasher next to stove. Good idea?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Maineman

We are remodeling our kitchen. The plans call for a spacer between the stove and dishwasher so I called the designer to see if there was a mistake in the drawing. She said the space is there to allow some ventilation. Apparently the heat and steam produced by the dishwasher can affect the stove and the heat from the stove can affect the dishwasher.

I would prefer to put the spacer next to the sink base so the spacer can be screwed to it. Otherwise the spacer needs to be glued to the stove.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JD
Site Admin

I would make a furring strip rectangle shaped framing piece and attach it to the countertop and floor to put the spacer piece on. I would not attach anything to the stove.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Personally I would try to leave at least 6" between them if possible. You should be able to frame the countertop so it is not attached to the stove, you want to be able to slide it out if needed. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
readysetgo

Our dishwasher has always been next to our gas stove. There's only about 2 1/2 space between the stove and dishwasher. We've never had any problems. I always turn on our stove exhaust vent when the dishwasher is on to help take out the steam.
RSG
wes

here's our's. installation structions only mentioned enough space to make the water connection. there's aboot 1.5 inches in the back and maybe 4 inches on the stove side. no problemo for nearly 2 years.

the frame around the dw are doubled 1x2 to make up for the depth needed cause of mobile home cabinets and are where the dw is fastened.
Maineman

Replys here, at another DIY web site and two kitchen designers all generally agree a space of 3 - 4" is needed between the stove and dishwasher. One kitchen designer said she would have used a cabinet end panel to both support the countertop and create the necessary 4" space. The end cap would have a 6" finished spacer attached to the front and an unfinished piece of 3/4" plywood attached to the back with a 1/2" piece of plywood on top so the assembly could be attached to the countertop. She would also put a 2x2 on the floor so the end panel could be screwed to it. Essentially a "mini" cabinet.

We have the 6" finished front spacer so plan to build the rest out of some sanded 3/4" plywood I have and will finish. The back of the countertop is now supported by a 2x3 I screwed to the wall.

The dishwasher we have is a Bosch. It has a stainless steel tub and, as far as I can tell, a steel frame. It would have supported the countertop but in any case it wouldn't have been a good way to do it. For one thing, if the dishwasher needed to be taken out for any reason, the countertop would be unsupported. The method above is the best way to go.

Thanks for your help.