Tub surround has "blisters" on side ...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

My wife just pointed out that where we stick the kids rubber mat on the sidewall of the tub, it is developing these little blisters, or pimples. Can't see unless you are looking at the reflection of the light. There's a LOT of them, because every time the kids are done, we stick the mat(with the rubber suctions) on the side. Next time, we pull it off. Is this "pulling" the coating off? Can't push them down or move them, and they are really right in that one area. There are letters on the side of the tub, I think "FLM"
archive

Is the surround fiberglass or plastic??
archive

If it is the "standard" tub & surround you may actually be pulling the plastic loose from the wall. It is hard to say without seeing it, Can you take a photo & post it here? perhaps others will have some ideas for you. Greg
archive

Here's a good picture of just one section. THey are all clustered along the side wall, maybe 100 of them. Some other areas the blisters are actually going the other way - towards the wall - not too many of those. They are less than 1/4th inch - some much smaller. I can't scratch them off, although I didn't dig to damage it. They're not soft either, I cannot press on them or anything. The tub seems to be fiberglass (I mean it doesn't feel like plastic) and is made by Front Line Mfg, Elkhart, IN (My home is Skyline from Goshen, IN).

Click for larger image
archive

If it is a fiberglass tub/wall surround they are gel coat blisters. It is caused by water getting behind the gel coat. The suction cup deal really helps for these to develop. Boats have this same problem. These types of tubs need to be waxed with a fiberglass wax to help prevent this. Now that you have them they will not usually go away. Look up gel coat blisters on the net and you will see what I mean.
archive

Thanks for the help. I found this courtesy of aquaglass.com. Ok no more floor mat!!!

"Use of a Rubber Floor Mat - Although not recommended, should you choose to use a rubber floor mat with any (Aqua Glass) bathing fixtures, please be sure to remove the rubber mat after each shower or bath. Be sure to wipe the bathing fixture completely dry and allow the rubber mat to completely dry before re-use. Prolonged use of a rubber mat without properly drying after each use may and can cause fungus or mold to grow underneath the suction cups therefore damaging the bathing fixture surface in the form of surface blisters in the bottom of the tub or shower. Your (Aqua Glass) warranty is void with the use of a rubber mat."

Now on to my next project ... I'll be back.
archive

I have the same blisters in my tub, about 2" up from the bottom, not on the surround. I have never used rubber mats in there so I wonder what else could cause the blistering.
archive

Hi Mickey,

Are these blisters, or cracks in the tub?

Maybe the tub has been painted, or refinished previously? Or you may have a plastic tub, they crack easily.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Maureen,
They are definately blisters not cracks. Maybe blister is a bad word, they are circular bumps, hard not squishy. Almost as if something from behind the tub is pushing through.
I bought the house brand new so I'm absolutely positive that the tub hasn't been painted.

Lets see if I'm smart enough to attach an image :lol:
archive

Hey guys,
Just saw your note here Mickey. The problem with the rubber mat is that if you just pick it up and stick it to the side, it has water under the suctions then it causes a fungus to grow which is the cause of the bubbling. I read it can happen without a mat. Just leaving the tub wet can cause it. Someone said it is a common problem with boats as well. I've only seen it on the side where I kept the mat. It is nothing coming thru the other side. I think you can buy the fiberglass wax to put on it which will seal the small holes from bubbling. However I don't think its a critical problem, only cosmetic. I don't think anything is leaking out.