Did I kill my mom?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Mom died of asthma after she moved in with me for a period of about 14 years. Since I've had the double wide, I've had this..... I-don't-know...."powdery white" stuff always develop everywhere... it's like a "white dust". I'm sure we (she used to...) still have to breath this very small powder / dust. We have the white ceilings you find in most homes. Is this where the dust is coming from.... maybe the washing machine is vibrating it off the ceiling? I guess I'm next in line for developing a respitory problem because of this?

I wonder where I could take a sample of it to have it analyzed?.....
archive

Hi

I'd call a lawyer. You may have a wrongful death claim/suit. The lawyer would also handle the testing of the substance.

Harry
archive

I would personally hold off on a lawyer until you can find out for sure just what it is. Do you have pets? what about your OUTSIDE environment it is possible that you have dust infiltrating from the outside. There are (in my mind) just too many possibilities, it could be just plain dust.
Unfortunatly I feel that half ot the legal problems today are brought about by lawyers that do nothing but bend the truth in any direction that benifits THEIR wallet.
I am just saying find out what is REALLY going on before you hire someont to tell you what you want to hear. Greg
archive

Is your dryer vent tight and going outside. I have found that to be a problem with fine dust.
archive

Hey Loveoldtrux,

I have to agree with Greg and HVAC...

When did this white dust start appearing?

Do have items stored under your home?

And as much as you do not want to hear this LOL, the sealing of your underbelly will greatly reduce allergens from entering your home.

Is your duct work tight, no leaks?

Have you done any recent sheetrock work in the home and forget to close or seal off the vents?

~Yanita~
archive

Hi

I know someone with a parrot. "White dust" everywhere.

Harry
archive

Hi Mark from Rome,

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

Here's what I would do before spending the money on lawyers. Take a sample of the dust to the nearest lab to be tested.

Greg and Yanita are correct. There are so many things that could cause that white dust.

Get the facts first, then proceed.

Once again, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Maureen 8-)
archive

I also have stipple ceilings in my home and get some fine white drywall dust.
archive

Thanks for the condolences. She died Thanksgiving day at 2 AM in 2002. What kind of a lab would I take this stuff to?....

To tell you the truth... I have the stippled ceiling like most homes of the 80's had.... I wonder if it might be "Gypsum Dust"?....

Sorry I didn't answer all the other responses - I'm not being alerted in my personal email about the updates.
Anyway the dust began when the home was set up in 1988.... some vents DO have gaps (settling) and need to be tightened up....
archive

sorry for the loss. i know what your going through. my mom passed amay the same year. we have this kind of ceiling in our home. its arched. course i can't tell if any powder comes of it cause we painted ours a long while back & looks real smooth.
archive

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, but it's been a hectic few days for me!

I'd suggest that you check a local university, if you have one. Call their extension office. If they can't preform the tests required, they can point you in the right direction. Even if the closest university is a few hundred miles away, they can still give you the best places, in your area to have the testing done.

Once tested, and this may cost you a few bucks, if it proves positive, then contact a lawyer! It's best to have proof in hand before contacting a lawyer. That cost is minimal compared to what an attorney would charge for their people to come in and test. If they come up with nothing, then you're stuck with a very large bill!

If the test comes up positive, then it's time to bring in a lawyer... and have them do the mega testing. Those tests will be paid via any lawsuit.

I do feel for you! My daddy died on Christmas, 1977 and my mother on their anniversary, 1995... Memorial day! It's never easy, but losing them on holidays makes those days really tough down the road!

Hope this helps a bit!

Maureen 8-)
archive

homebuff - that's a great idea!!... Like some sort of clear acrylic or something... if the "dust" is coming from there, it'd sure END it!!

Sorry to hear about you mom. Dad passed away in 1982; just now am getting pix of the funeral from his sister - still hurtz 25 years later!! :cry:

Are you using a cold mist humidifier? That can leave white residue from hard water, throughout the house.
My litter boxes produce white residue in the litter room, also. It gets stirred up when cats scratch, and when boxes are cleaned, etc.