ceiling water damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

i have damage close to the wall on the ceiling.can i cut out the damage and replace with 1/2"Greenboard.pull off the plastic strips between the ceiling board and use dry wall compound to fill in the gaps?I want to texture over the ceiling panel and greenboard.Is this possible?
archive

That is about the only way to repair a ceiling. Make sure of the thickness before you put the new section in, some are 3/8". Greg
archive

Greg,will the mud hold in the cracks where i remove the plastic spline?Do i need to add some studs to support the weight of the drywall?its like 2x2 truss?Knockdown will look uniform over this? thanx for ur response.(also i registered last nite and still didnt receive an email)
archive

You may need to use joint tape. Are you planning on re doing the entire room so the texture matches?
as for your registering, Mark (the owner) sent us an Email this morning about the problems, so don't worry. Greg
archive

Greg,yes im putting texture everywhere.Will the texture stick to the panels the same as the greenboard to make everything look uniform?And do i need to add studs? thanx for ur patience..Jason.
archive

Jason, That is about the same thing we did in our daughter's when we did a major reno. check my album to see how it turned out. As for extra support, you may need to add some screws but you will hide them with joint compound. Greg
archive

Greg, Thanx alot for ur input...Going to look at ur album. Looking forward to a roofover soon..Im sure ill bug u again. thanx Jason..
archive

Like Greg mentioned, I'd suggest that you get rid of the paneled ceiling altogether. There is no way to patch one section and tape and texture the rest.

Take down the ceiling and finish as it as Greg did, with dry wall.

Of course, if you don't do the roof over first, you're asking for more damage! Number one rule for mobile home owners is that water and our homes do not mix!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Greg&Maureen, I took your advise & ripped out all the panels on the bathroom ceiling.I have 1/2"greenboard & 2x2 trus will this support the weight?(help) thanx Jason...
archive

Hello,

Greenboard, or cement board is meant to be used where water can come in contact with a wall. Normally in small areas, or those fully supported. Shower surrounds, or floors.

Using it for a ceiling is over kill, and can add much more weight on the trusses than they can take! I'd use plain sheet rock on the ceiling, and make sure that your bathroom is vented.

Maureen 8-)
archive

thanx Maureen, but what size should i use?
archive

If you can find 3/8" it does weigh less (costs about the same), but you have to be a little more careful putting it up since also breaks easier. Greg
archive

Greg,thanx for ur reply.Last and final question may i use 1/4 cause the more i look i just dont think my ceiling will hold much weight at all.and if i can use 1/4 how close should i run my 1x4 across the truss to avoid sag less than 12"? thanx for everything i really enjoy this forum. please respond soon as u can my day off is sat.thanx jason..
archive

Hi Jason,

Before we go any further, what is the age of your home?

Your trusses should support the 1/4 inch without any extra support. What size trusses do you have? Do you have ventilation in your bathroom? How large is this bathroom?

Hang in there! Right now, most of our experts are in the deep freeze right now! They are most likely thawing homes out!

From what I hear, even JD got hit hard in his area. I know we're freezing our rears off here! It's a balmy 3 degrees here! I don't even want to know what the wind chill is right now! I am so looking forward to getting up at 6:00 am tomorrow morning... NOT!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Quoted From: Maureen

Hi Jason,

Before we go any further, what is the age of your home?

Your trusses should support the 1/4 inch without any extra support. What size trusses do you have? Do you have ventilation in your bathroom? How large is this bathroom?

Hang in there! Right now, most of our experts are in the deep freeze right now! They are most likely thawing homes out!

From what I hear, even JD got hit hard in his area. I know we're freezing our rears off here! It's a balmy 3 degrees here! I don't even want to know what the wind chill is right now! I am so looking forward to getting up at 6:00 am tomorrow morning... NOT!

Maureen,sorry to hear uguys are freezing Im in Davie,Fla dont have that problem down here.My home is a 24x56 1978 hill.I read the articles section on drywall on the ceiling annd they used 1x4 strips running across the truss every 12" to avoid sag.they used 1/2"drywall.Greg recomended 3/8. I want to go with 1/4" but i want to avoid sag my truss is 2x2 about 16" apart.i want to go with 1/4 cause my roof is in real bad condition bit i stoped all the leaks until i can afford a roof over. thanx for everything jason..