ceiling water damage

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi Jason

I am following this post closely to see what the experts say. I saw a 1/4 ceiling job awhile back and the panels were sagging between the trusses. I guess because the panels were not supported properly. While the 1/4 is lighter....I think it is more flexible.

I used to live in Davie. State Road 84. Paradise Village.

Harry
archive

Quoted From: Guest

Hi Jason

I am following this post closely to see what the experts say. I saw a 1/4 ceiling job awhile back and the panels were sagging between the trusses. I guess because the panels were not supported properly. While the 1/4 is lighter....I think it is more flexible.

I used to live in Davie. State Road 84. Paradise Village.

Harry,not to far i live on davie road across from bcc Palma Nova.i really need to get going on this project i have today and tommorow. i moved here 10 years ago from Rome,Ga.correction for maureen make:skyline,Model:hillcrest,size:56ftx24ft.year1978. and its actually 2 bathrooms i took down the wall that joins the main bathroom to the master bath had to fix the floor joist that were rotted and this made it easier to do tha subfloor.im putting the wall back though. thanx for ur replys looking forward to some answers. thanx Jason...
archive

I honestly think that with 3/8" hung with lots of screws you should be OK. If you use a texture finish that would also help hide any slight sags should you find you have any. Greg
archive

Quoted From: Greg

I honestly think that with 3/8" hung with lots of screws you should be OK. If you use a texture finish that would also help hide any slight sags should you find you have any. Greg,so 1/4 sheetrock is out of tha question?
archive

we have the same problem w/ ours & found out it was from the outside guttering. course i have'nt got around to installing new style guttering yet. have water stains all around some parts of the ceiling. hope its not doing any internal damage in the walls. no water dripping in though. looks like you have a big job ahead of you.
archive

You could try a couple of sheets of 1/4" and see how the look after you screw them in place, if there are any noticable sags try some thing different. Greg
archive

Everyone, i went with the 3/8 drywall and it looks great.
It was farely easy. Today i will start the walls and i have 7 sheets of 1/2in. green board. I want to avoid the whole loading and returning so will this be ok for my walls? I know maureen said this is over kill but i already have them. Thank You for all your replies you have been really helpful!!!! Look out for me cause i know i will be back SOON!! Get'er Dun !! Again Thanx, Jason
archive

Everyone, i went with the 3/8 drywall and it looks great.
It was farely easy. Today i will start the walls and i have 7 sheets of 1/2in. green board. I want to avoid the whole loading and returning so will this be ok for my walls? I know maureen said this is over kill but i already have them. Thank You for all your replies you have been really helpful!!!! Look out for me cause i know i will be back SOON!! Get'er Dun !! Again Thanx, Jason
archive

Overkill is a whole lot better than underkill!! GO FOR IT!!! Greg
And with that I'll lock this topic, If you need more info please start a new topic.
archive

Hi,

I temporarily unlocked this topic to make this one post for clarification.

The overkill statement by Maureen about the greenboard was concerning using it on the ceiling only. For the walls, as she stated, it is intended for this.

So yes, put 'em up on the walls.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert