Replacing Bathtub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Veronica

Hello,

We just purchased a doble wide on permanent foundation. In our bathroom, our garden tub is slightly cracked. We want to replace it but not with another plastic tub. We would like to go ceramic since the home will never be moved. Can this be done? Also, can we change it to a regular size tub instead of a garden size?

Thank you.
Veronica
[email protected]
hvac1000

Yes you can change the tub if you are handy with tools. Ceramic is very heavy and hard to work with. There are some great fiberglass tubs like I have in my unit at home.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Mark
Site Admin

I too would choose a fiberglass tub over a cast iron or glazed metal one.

Of course a 'temporary' fix for a cracked bathtub would be this kit here: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/quickfixtubrep.htm

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Veronica

Thank you.

Fiberglass is good. Can the size of the tub be changed as well?

And is it better to purchase a tub at a mobile home parts store or can I just go to a local Lowes and order what they carry?
Mark
Site Admin

If you wish to change the tub size to a standard tub, you can buy them anywhere. Biggest thing about changing the tub size is moving the drain. If you can successfully do that, then your good to go! Waterlines will also have to be moved, but that's generally a simpler task if you have the right pex tools and fittings.

Mark
Mark
Site Admin

I should probably also add a note about the drain. Right now your tub probably does not have an overflow. A standard tub will have an overflow. Not a big deal, just requires a different drain that incorporates an overflow into it.

Changing a tub, especially to a different size, is not a simple task. Unless your really handy with tools, changing a tub is not really a task for the average do-it-yourselfer.

Mark

Just wanted to comment, like the one piece shower stalls appears they were installed during the construction, if you had to replace it, then the new one won't fit through the door, so a mulitple piece unit would have to be used. I was thinking about replacing my tub ( 2 person air-jet ) but after thinking about it will it fit through the door? or do I have knock down a wall just to install it? so I threw out that idea out the windows so to speak.
Greg

Veronica, one thing that Mark forgot to add, Maesure first to make sure a standard size tub will fit. I am in the planning stage for our master bath (full size jacuzzi) I may have to move a wall 2" to make it fit unless I relocate it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Sylvia

We purchased on regular tub and replaced a cracked garden tub in the old master bath. DH just bought a special order return mobile home bathtub for the guest bath yesterday at Menards.

If you take off the door, a small tub *may* fit through. It worked in the master bath.
Yanita

Hi,

You have gotten great info here, LOL, as you can see about everyone has done this project at one time or another. Might I suggest you get the Repair and Upgrade Manual that is located in the books/parts link above. It will give you a real good idea of what is involved.

Hi Sylvia, haven't heard from you in a while! Glad to see you are still with us!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!