The ultimate challenge!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Busybee1952

As most of you know, I have been working all year on replacing broken pipes, installing foamboard insulation under the skirting, caulking everything in sight, and have managed to patch and replace insulation and belly board along both sides of the underneath of my home. The ultimate challenge remains which is the middle section. I have attached a furring strip on the one edge as you can see in the second photo as either a starting or ending point. There is still good insulation under the heat duct but somehow new insulation and belly material will have to be attached. I was thinking that I might be able to attach another furring strip along the edge of the other side of the heat duct.
Any suggestions, ideas, input?
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
hvac1000

I used a item called a stiff wire. The wires are stiff and have pointed ends. You hold up the insulation then take a wire and put it between the floor joyce. They make the in 16 or 24 on center size.

When you put the wire up you kind of twist your hand and this allows the wire to be twisted into place. The sharp points are there so they will dig into the wood a bit to create a friction fit.

I got mine at a local hardware store but I think Lowes and Home depot has them also.

Here is a link to what I am talking about. They come in a bulk pack of 50 I believe.

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27-11 ... 81747.aspx
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Mark
Site Admin

If most of the middle section of insulation is gone, I would run new insulation/belly material from I-beam to I-beam. I would attach a furrying strip by one of the I-beams, then another at the other I-beam. This will then cover the heat duct and pipes, plus it'll have a 'sag' to it which will allow heat to move around the belly to keep the pipes warm.

This manual has some information on doing it:
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/manual.htm

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Busybee1952

Mark,
I have the manual and studied the section on underbelly repair all summer and perhaps I am just dense but I couldn't quite figure it out how I could cut the furring strips to the right length, make sure I had enough belly material and then try to get the whole piece under the trailer all by myself.

I think you are suggesting that I go lengthwise in sections between the I-beams. Is that correct? I was thinking of going widthwise. The biggest problem I can see is how I'm going to slide the belly material under the heat duct but maybe I won't have to if I can figure out a way to attach stuff right at the edge of the heat duct.
Thanks,
Pat
With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity ..... Nair, Keshavan
Mark
Site Admin

Repairing an underbelly, especially large sections, is a difficult if not almost impossible task. You're a brave sole for tackling this by yourself. Each home is a little bit different, so you judge the best way to do it and go for it. As you know, there's always something in the way or something to go around -- and that makes the job that much more difficult.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!