!! Munch-n-Crunch UPDATE !!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Well... haven't gotten around to sealing the underbelly but I closed off the two entrances to under the home that've been left open for 19 years.

Guess what... it seems to have happened instantly, but there is no more gnawing / gnashing / ripping / shredding / chewing on the bottom of the floorboards at night!! It must have been SQUIRRELS doing it - since I've put up the s-o-l-i-d barricades I guess they can't get in!! There are still a few holes the weed-whacker has created (small enough for mice to get through) in the under-skirting but the noises have not returned so it MUST have been the squirrels!! I guess I need to take out the trusty bb gun and do some good ole target practicin'.... get some vittles set up for the crock pot...

So - I guess I have a "late winter" project - to the underskirting and FINISH it and repair the underbelly and furnace runs under the house.

Hi Mark,

Have you seen Skirt-Guards? They might work for you in covering the small holes from the weedeater. They are 4" tall and come in white only.

JD
archive

Hi loveoletrux,

Good to be hearing from you again.

Now, not to say that we didn't warn you last year, LOL, friend you need to get that belly and underpinning sealed up tight.

Mark also has some tape for sale in the parts link. Works real well when I had vinyl skirting.

Once you get everything sealed you will also discover that things like heating and air seem to work a little more efficiently. I know it's a big job, nasty and all, and I certainly remember your pics, but you will be rewarded the benefits in a short time.

Take care,

~Yanita~
archive

Wha ha ha ha... those pix you remember make the underbelly look BRAND NEW compared to what it looks like "now"!!

So much to do... so little time.... I'll definitely be getting with Mark later for the underbelly material and then make some Pressure Treated underskirting frames with the rock skirting outside of that - ought to last another 20 years that way...

Jd - those look pretty cool ... I've promised the wife to get the bush beds finished by spring - when those are up the skirting will be covered over and no weed-eater will touch the home again.

The Skirt Guards DO look nice, though!!........

Don't I recall that pressure-treated skirting framing is a no-no because of fumes?

Nicky T

Quoted From: loveoldtrux

So much to do... so little time.... I'll definitely be getting with Mark later for the underbelly material and then make some Pressure Treated underskirting frames with the rock skirting outside of that - ought to last another 20 years that way...
archive

Hi,

Pressure treated lumber is only for exterior use, it can and should be used for the skirting.

~Yanita~