Hot air registers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I replaced all the broken metal registers with plastic ones. Now I find that the carpeting around a couple of them is rising around the register and is warm, so obviously the air is being forced sideways.

I bought plastic ones because the metal ones on sale these days are cheap and won't stay closed.

Any words of wisdom on the subject please?

:) Nicky T
archive

Hi Nicky,

I have never had good luck with plastic registers, invariably people or furniture sooner or latter get on them and they crack easily.

Yes the metal ones can get expensive. If finances are an issue maybe buy a good metal once a month until you get thru the home. If this is not an option I don't see why you could not take a drill and drill a small hole at each end or all 4 sides and then put a screw in there to snug them down.

Have a good night.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi Nicky,

We couldn't afford much after we first purchased our home either. One thing I insisted on was replacing the registers! They were so smashed up that it wasn't funny! I wanted the wood and metal scroll registers... but had to settle for the plain metal. I never saw the plastic back then.

One of pet peeves is paying for heat, so if I make it efficient on my end, then I have no room to gripe.

I'd take Yanita's suggestion and buy a few when you can, per pay period. At least replace the plastic registers that come in contact with foot traffic or furniture. Then try screwing in the rest of the plastic registers until they can be replaced.

Maureen 8-)