Leaking tub faucet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

scottman

Hi again. We have a whirlpool tub in our bathroom, which has been notorious for leaking. Either the hot or cold would drip. When I take off the faucet, there is a black rubber ring that slips down. The inside is made of real cheap plastic. Whatever I did, the hot water side hasn't leaked in over a year. The cold water, I must remove and clean off all the parts, and put together. There is a spring with another black ring at the bottom, that I think keeps the water from leaking too. I've had to stretch the spring a few times to "tighten it". Sorry I don't have a pic right now. Maybe this is a standard cheap faucet used in these garden tubs? I don't really see much buildup, but I wipe down what I can and put together and it no longer leaks for a while. Anyone else have something similar? Its made by Frontline Mfg, Elkhard, In (All the tubs are in my home, but this is the only one that leaks.)
altasnowman

Hi scottman
Sounds like you might want to replace the seals. how long after you r&r the tap before it starts to leak? if it is only several hours then replace the seals as they are inexpensive and see what happens. if the problem persists then replace whole unit, and yes most taps that come in units are of a lower grade, unless customer has asked for upgrade.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......