shower head

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

annie

:roll:

Hello,

I posted a time or two on the previous forum and have not had another question until now.

I haven't gone through to figure out the profile-home is 4 years old and has PEX plumbing. 28 x56.

My question has to do with shower heads. We replaced the original-which weighed almost nothing-with a 4" Peerless rain shower head. The instructions said to make sure the plumbing would hold it-example plastic would not. We have had a shower caddy hanging on the rod that comes out of the wall that the shower head attaches to for months. I figure the shampoo/etc weighs as much as the new shower head does. I removed the caddy. I don't want to cause damage to the plumbing. My question-if the rod that comes out of the flange from the wall is not binding or dropping downward from the shower head does that mean the plumbing will be okay? Has anyone else replaced theirs with no problems? I could figure out where the studs are and place some pipe strapping around the neck of the new shower head. Would that be an okay thing to do?

Thanks,
Annie

Hope I explained this well enough.
Greg

Annie, welcome back. It sounds to me like what the manufacturer is worried about is the shower tube that comes out of the wall. The newer ones are plastic, if you look close you may see a seem if yours is plastic. you could also use a magnet to tell. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
annie

Thanks for the response. The shower arm that comes out of the wall does not seem to be plastic. It is a very lightweight metal, maybe aluminum. It doesn't sag or anything with the new shower head on it so maybe it will be okay. I just don't want it to damage any plumbing in the wall. What a nightmare that would be:)

Annie
Mark
Site Admin

You do need to exercise some caution. Many shower heads are simply 'clamped' to the wall. If your wall is 3/8" sheetrock, it could do some damage. If your wall is something stronger, then it may be alright.

So in a nutshell, you'll probably damage your wall before you damage your plumbing.

I tell ya tho, the best shower head I've ever found is the one right here: http://mobilehomerepair.com/Order3.html#catalog It's lightweight and puts out one mean stream of water -- even under low water pressure.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
annie

Thanks, Mark. I may order that one for the other shower. Is there an extension arm that goes along with it? Would like it down lower into the shower stall..for the short people...

Annie

annie wrote:Thanks, Mark. I may order that one for the other shower. Is there an extension arm that goes along with it? Would like it down lower into the shower stall..for the short people...

Annie
I haven't installed it yet because I have to rebuild my tub surround but I bought an Oxygenics head, looks like metal but made of resin. Says it uses 30-70% less water and increases the oxygen in the water. energytechlabs.com

I'm more into saving water than those fancy several-spray pattern heads give.

Nicky T
Mark
Site Admin

These days most all shower heads have a water-saving feature in them. Even the one listed on my site has that. Thing is, many of those water-saving features often mean low-pressure from your shower head. Not the one on my site. It also has a couple shower patterns you can choose.

I do have a little longer shower arm than the standard arm. How long were you thinking? When I get into the office on Monday, I'll have to measure.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!

Mark wrote:These days most all shower heads have a water-saving feature in them. Even the one listed on my site has that. Thing is, many of those water-saving features often mean low-pressure from your shower head. Not the one on my site. It also has a couple shower patterns you can choose.
Mark
I spent a long time checking out the avoilable shower heads here in my small community. All, apart from the one I bought, were nothing but heads offering, under the guise of "water savers", different spray patterns. I don't want fancy choosable spray patterns.

But I see what you're saying. I don't need a 'mean stream' - I weigh 90lbs and to me, a shower is a way to get clean, not to have a life experience!

Nicky T
annie

Thanks, Mark. The shower extension part for the shower head can be anywhere from 4-8 inches.
Annie
mp183

[quote="Foxy LadyI bought an Oxygenics head, looks like metal but made of resin. Says it uses 30-70% less water and increases the oxygen in the water. energytechlabs.com
Nicky T[/quote]

I put one of those heads in my NJ home and the thing is great.
You will never run out of hot water.
I bet it uses 70% less water than my old shower head.