flushing sediment from water heaters

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

How do i drain and clear the sediment from water heater using the valve at bottom? Is there a certain process so I dont get an airlock in it when re-filling so i dont get an air lock and burn element up? Thanks
archive

Turn off power to water heater. Hook hose to drain valve and run outside.Open drain valve to flush water heater. Reverse process to put heater back in service.
WARNING!!! Sometimes the plastic drain valve will not close tight after a flush. Obtain a 3/4 inch hose cap and washer to place on the end of the valve when done. Also after you are finished if you are concerned about air problems run your hot water for 5 minutes before you turn on your electric after the flush.
archive

Hi Lefties,

You didn't mention whether this is a gas or electric hot water heater.

Here's a simple step by step instructions for both. See the link below.

It's always good to drain the tank. But, keep certain things in mind, Older water heaters need much more attention than newer water heaters. If you have, or can find your water heaters instructions online, that is your best bet. Water heaters located in an outside closet, instead of inside of the home may differ also. Then, you have to to inspect the water heater. Is it mobile home approved? You never know, if you're living in a pre-owned home!

Maureen 8-)