Do-It-Yourself Concrete Pad REPAIR

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark's recent (and very informative) post on pouring a concrete pad got me thinking about my latest problem. While the concrete pad under my MH is in fine shape, the same cannot be said for the pad that makes up my front patio. I have several large cracks running the length of the pad and other smaller ones running off of those. I'm sure it's caused by the deterioration of the pad's foundation as the worst damage is closest to the edge where water may have seeped in and caused erosion.
Before winter arrives I'd like to fill those cracks to prevent ice from widening them and deteriorating the pad further. Could anyone offer any advice or suggest any brand name products they have successfully used to fill such cracks in concrete? Could I resurface the pad with a top & bond type product after the cracks are filled, or is 12 x 30 too big of an area for that to work properly? I realize my best solution would be to remove the pad and have it repoured, but that kind of expenditure is not possible right now. I would be happy to just stop any further deterioration of the pad until repouring becomes an option some time in the future. Any suggestions would, as always, be greatly appreciated.
Greg

Check the home centers for a flexable filler, I know they do make them for concrete but I cannot remember the name. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Here's a product listing for you:

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/Products-Home.asp

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Mark
Site Admin

Just curious -- when you installed the pad, did you put in any fault lines so when the pad does crack, it's suppose to crack on that line? Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I noticed one local company comes back after a pour and saws a fault line once the concrete has set-up for a day or so. Most put in the fault line while the concrete is still wet. Maybe there's something to sawing it afterwards?? Wish I was more of an expert on it.

Also, did you use rebar or not? Just comparing notes and learning myself.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

When I did the flat pours, we did not have those lines you are talking about. I am thinking they probably should, but I guess code did not require it. Every building was inspected 3 times. After holes were dug, after framing and a final that included the pad. We used a very heavy wire grid material not rebar. We would just lay it on the ground and pour the concrete. Then before screeting, we would reach in there and pull it up of of the ground. I never had formal concrete training. We were just taught how to build these steel buildings. I always did question the method we used on these slabs. The main thing I was relating to was the amount of hard work involved. It certainly did pay well though. I started off as a hourly green helper and worked up to a crew boss and got paid percentage of building cost.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

Thanks Mark, Greg, Harry & JD for the replies. Mark, this is not a newly-poured patio. It is the original patio pad poured back in 1972 when the MH was first set up. It seems that the sand base near the outer edge has eroded over time and could no longer support the weight of the pad and it more or less broke in half near the outer edge. The main crack runs the length of the pad about 2' in and parallel to the rim of the pad. As a result, that edge of the pad is about 1 - 2" lower than it should be. There's no way I can get under there and repack the sand base that was lost, so I'm just trying to prevent more damage from freezing and thawing until I can afford to dig it up and repour the pad some day.
Thanks for the link, Harry. I think the Concrete Resurfacer may be the product I'm looking for. Something I can fill the cracks with and smooth over the edges of the cracks so they are not so noticeable. I've tried plastic concrete repair caulk, but it's too big a job for that and it's not meant to be used for cracks over 1/4 - 1/2" wide. I need something I can trowel into the bigger cracks without any gaps and the repair mediums containing polymer listed on the site Harry provided, like the Concrete Resurfacer, seem to be the best bet. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Mark
Site Admin

For lifting concrete, there is a process called 'concrete jacking' or something like that. Years ago I read-up on how it's done, but it's been awhile and I'm a little fuzzy on the details. But in a nutshell, I think you pump concrete or something underneath the slab and the pressure raises it up. I'm sure an internet search would bring up all kinds of details.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
altasnowman

Hi,
Sounds like you could use somebody that does mud jacking. It is basically like Mark was saying where they drill into the concrete pad in several points in your concrete and by pumping material(may be concrete or a mud type of concrete mix) into the void thereby bringing the slab back to level. I do not know the cost for your area but here it is really inexpensive verses replacing the entire slab. You should be able to find a company in the yellow pages under concrete repair.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......

Concrete jacking? Now that's something I've never heard of, but it appears to be exactly what my cement pad needs. I will definitely research that possibility. With 3 large MH parks in my town there must be someone who offers that service in this area. Thanks for the info.
Harry

Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

Interesting site, Harry. Thanks.
76artcraft

Hi, I hope this post dosn't put this at the top of post's or anything... but I seen an episode of this old house last month and they did that concrete jacking thing to a cement slab in front of a house in texas? I think it was and they just drilled a few holes and put foam in there and it started raising the concrete. The foam looked just like the kind they spray in walls or the stuff that comes in a can, but I think maybe they added something to make it fully expand right away...but can't quit remember and I sure am not an expert on foam.
My patio also has large cracks and is unlevel, but I would have thought it was to thin of a slab to "jack up".
I dunno, but that patch stuff sounds intresting.
Thanks