Warped frame

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

[email protected]

Can the "warped frame" really be repaired after a large tree fell on it? The tree destroyed an added on room put large hole in bedroom and cracks all the way down the livingroom? [/img]
JD
Site Admin

Hi bobbq,

I guess it depends on how you look at it. An insurance adjuster, whose job is cost containment and a contractor seeing a $40K contract would say absolutely. A homeowner with no insurance may be inclined to agree.

As a contractor, I believe that most any home could be rebuilt to more than adequate standards and possibly even make some improvements when using the insurance money to rebuild.

But when you look at the policy wording, it should say "to restore the home to the state it was in before the damage occurred. Being very technical, that is unlikely. This kind of impact could easily create damage that is undetectable at this time. The home may always have squeaks that it did not have before. With a gapping hole, if there is any precipitation, there could be mold or mildew concerns. And everything is totally contingent on the talents and ability of the contractor doing the work. One contractor could do a beautiful job where as another contractor could botch every phase.

That is just my opinion. I have done hundreds of insurance jobs (thank you Foremost) with the largest being over $34K.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Here's my 2 cents on insurance claims. Get more than 1 or 2 opinions and read your policy very carefully!

Everything hinges on your insurance policy and what type you have. Some will restore the home, others will replace. If the damage is on the cusp of being totaled, you need more than one estimate from a contractor.

Each of our homes are very different! As you well know by now. If it destroyed the room that was added on, that might play a part also! Was the home up to code in your area before the tree fell? Was both the home and addition covered?

Our homes differ depending on what area of the world we live in. That goes for living in the US, Canada and anywhere else! Insurance differs dramatically in different areas of the US alone!

In other words, there really isn't a simple answer to your question, without more info. Even then, you really need to educate yourself about your home and your insurance policy.

We can help you with your home, as long as you provide us with more detailed information!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Harry

Hi

I agree with Maureen and JD.

Yes it is possible to repair a damaged frame rail. With time and money anything is possible.

My experience with insurance claims on MHs is I never got all the money I needed to complete the damage repairs. They wrote me the check. I would have preferred a company like JD's to pony up and do all the work. Guess I had/have the wrong kind of insurance.

Can you provide a photo?

My wife would jump at the chance for a new home...insurance or no insurance.

You are lucky to have insurance. Lots of folks down here have to go without due to the high cost.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Bobbq, leaving the insurance out of the issue, yes it is POSSIBLE, just as possible that a tree would fall on it in the first place. Are you planning on doing the work, or are you going to contract it out?
In my opinoin as long as you have no plans on moving the home (and since there is an addition on it I would doubt it will happen) you should be able to make the needed repairs with no problems if it is done right Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
[email protected]

here is a pic the damage was in April and due to legal hassels it is still just as you see it.
altasnowman

Hi bobbq,
This is just my opinion and what i have seen in my years of hauling these homes,and as such i would ask that you consult a lawyer for the legal issues involved.
Yes a warped frame rail can be repaired.
However and this is where things will get complicated if you have the frame repaired and you are not going to move the home then it should not be a problem, but if the home is going to be moved at any later date then the transportation department for your state/province will have to be consulted as to what they want to see in the repairs to the frame rail.
I would suggest that you get the transportation authorities in your area involved . These people are on your side in so far as your home is concerned, I would also talk to your insurance agent and ask them where they stand on this as you must remember that these homes are built to be transported on public roads and because of this the transportation department for your state/province must become involved and they may say that the home may only be moved if certain conditions are met.
I have moved several homes that the frames had been badly damaged and sad to say they ended up being scraped as the frames buckled in transit and were deemed unsafe for the road. There was a couple of the trailers that we loaded up on trombone trailers and moved them but this was extremely expensive and most people do not have that kind of money. Again this is only my opinion and I suggest that you seek legal advice.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
help4MH

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. But I had a "1/2 ton truck" run into my MH about 10 yrs ago. The insurance co. told me it was "fixable", yet it was Red tagged. They wouldn't let me live in in, because the frame, was like an accordion.

My insurance told me they would give me $7000 to "fix" it. W/ all the input everyone has given you, you'll have to decide what you want to do.

For me, I got myself an inexpensive lawyer, and was out of my MH for about 7 Mo's, but it was well worth it. I had , at the time , diff. contractors say it was "unrepairable", and I held out. I don't know what you want to do. But getting the lawyer, even on a "contingency' basis. was worth it for me. She got paid after the fact. Good luck.
Barbara