Repair 1989 or buy new?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Arby

Hi everyone. This is my first post to the forum but I've been to mhr.com many times. (Best site on the web!)

I live in coastal Georgia in a 1989 14x60 Fiesta Madrid. I've owned and lived in the home for 13 years. As you might expect from an 18-year-old home, it has issues. Four water leaks over the years led to patched floors and one complete bathroom remodel. The kitchen floor has developed a mysterious bump about a foot in diameter. The belly board needs repair and there are many other, smaller issues.

The house wasn't all that well constructed to begin with. It's an economy home (putting it politely) with, for example, 2x4 24-on-center construction.

I like the house. Despite all its problems now, I've done a lot of work on it and it's served me well over the years. But I'm starting to wonder whether I should cut my losses on this house and buy a new (or newer) home that has better bones. No matter what I do to this house, it's still going to be the relatively flimsy house it started out as.

I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions and experience before I make a decision. Thanks!
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

This is just my opinion...when bought our singlewide (Oakwood) after moving to N.Carolina, we bought a brand new home....learned alot, and unfortunately was not familiar with what I should of looked for. Although the home was a good home and served us well for 11 years.

Last year Hubby and I purchased a 35 yo Mansfield doublewide. I can say one thing with certainty. Construction wise this is 5 times the home the new was. If you accidentally bang into the door jamb, when your shoulder hits, the wall does not move! Every interior wall is 2x4, 16"oc. Although not impressed with the dark wall paneling typical of the 70's this has been covered with paint.

You can order a new home with bigger joist, studs, plywood floors, upgrades to plumbing, insulation, etc, but the cost rises really quickly. Purchasing another used home could also have things to fix, it's a decision that only you can make on what you are willing to repair. Have you seen the Guide to Purchasing a Used Home in the stickies area?

I have noticed that homes built for the southern regions do not have exterior wall sheathing under the vinyl or aluminium. The homes built in the north do, or at least mine was that way.

Good luck in your quest for another home. Please keep us posted.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

When we decided to sell the big house and move into our fishing shack (1988 DW on 4 acres) the wife wanted to replace it with a new MH.

I countered and said I would upgrade the 1988 DW to her satisfaction. Big mistake. I am still working on the do-list.

Just this morning she showed me the numbers on fixing this place up. Eventhough the property has increased in value a bunch the numbers show we should have bought a new home.....plus she wanted new anyway.

Good Luck with your decision.

Harry

PS: around here the MHs are well made.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

I'll throw my 2 cents in here also!

Like Yanita , we also own an older home now, a '73 model. Solid as a rock! But, it was a top of the line model in it's day.

Back in the early 80's, I bought a top of the line home and was very disappointed with it! I had the manufacturer out there every month for the first 2 years. Nothing was ever fixed correctly. Even though I had upgraded everything, it was still very cheaply built!

When we sold our big house, we moved into an '88 singlewide until this place became available. It was horrible! It had been well maintained, but there were so many bad, real poor building practices used in that home.

Don't get me wrong! I've also lived in a few '70's homes that were poorly built! But, I could see that this place was on foundation. It was built with 16 oc construction, 2x4, but that's what they did back then. On the other hand. We still have particle board floors and only a few areas need to be repaired. We do need to replace the all plumbing with PEX. Every thing else is cosmetic and normal maintenance! Working on the pretty stuff slowly, very slowly LOL!

Knowledge is your best bet! The more you educate yourself about our homes, the better you can answer your own question. Rebuild, or buy new?

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
bkbunny

and my 2 cents worth,,,, lol,,,,,,,,, I have 6 months left before this beast is MINE ALL MINE!!! I have a list of items I would like to have done when I have house payment at my fingers, I have had sevral folks say, well instead of putting money into that old place (1979 mobil) why not look for a newer mobil?? Well, I sat down with pen and paper, cost of materials 1100.00 cost of labor is still in question for a few repairs, but even if labor cost same as material that would be 2200.00 no wheres will I find a home for under 3000.00 like what I have now, no its no palace, but, I am happy with it and on a fixed income I so look forward to that 400.00 bucks a month to do as I please, I live in the very windy chilly UP of Mi. and my heating bills are half of folks that have newer mobils, and for that one reason I shy from even thinking of getting rid of my old beast. One other reason is the thought of moving this my gardens and bushes would not appreciate it....
Greg

Arby, Hi & welcome to the family. You are the only one that can make the decision, you need to weigh what you know about your home and what it needs against a home that you really know nothing about.
There is a check list in this forum that is a very complete list, you can follow it and catch MOST of the problems that you may have in a new home but there are always the hidden ones. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
altasnowman

Hi Arby and welcome to the family,
Well guess I'll throw my 2 Canadian cents worth in as well. The choice is yours as far as what you want to do, and if you are thinking about what it is you are going to do make a list of everything that is wrong with your current home, check the real estate listing in your area for a home that is close to yours, then look for a home that you would like to get into. If most of your list of what is wrong can be done by yourself price out the material cost and add 1/2 of that cost to your home. If you are happy with where you are and the materials are not taking the next shuttle launch then stay where you are and be happy. If your not happy then fix the place up and go to the place where you know you will be happy. Personally I think the older homes are built better and have a lot more character but that is just my opinion.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......

If I was you I'll buy new, there is nothing like owning a brand new home. (if you can afford it) If you buy used it may have single pane windows, etc.. and then to upgrade, might be better off to just buy new.
I bought a 2006 Palm Harbor came with vinyl double pane all around Moen facets, new appliances, Pex tubing etc...$89,800 might seem allot to some folks here, but in So, Calif that cheap living at it's best.
I have title in hand rent is cheap $330 a month and it goes up $5 every year. The Park pay for the water so it's free here. Compare to my Brother who bought a condo paids $2700 month for the next 30 yrs. I think his association fees is more than my rent.