Pipe question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi, I just had a major scare this morning. I woke up to no water. The temps here were 18 for a high yeasterday and like 6 last night. i called the park and to my relief it was the main water supply to the park that broke. Our pipes have the heat tape on them, it seems to work good. Everytime we turn on our water it is warm. My husband is at work at the moment but I beeped him and let him know and he said there would still be water in the line. This shouldn't freeze should it? If so how would I go about getting the water out? Thanks.
archive

As long as your heat tape is operating properly, you shouldn't be at any more risk for freezing now than you were before the park's water line broke.
archive

One other thing that should be done whenever the water is off, is to turn the water heater off also. It is possible to have the water heater drain its self down some and the last thing you want is a running DRY water heater. Greg
archive

Hi Trickey,

Let the water drain out of the pipes by turning your faucets on. Hubby is right, there was still water in your lines.

Greg brought up a good point though, turn your water heater off! We had our water fail about a week and half ago. I swore it was just the shut off valve to our swamp cooler. Turning the valve didn't shut the water off. It was still spiriting on top of the roof. I had shut down the water heater ASAP.

As it turned out, both failed. We've now got a new water heater and a new valve for the swamp cooler! Older home, water heater is located in an outside closet, swamp cooler ties in with the water heater.

Hang in there, you'll be fine! But we're always here if ya need us!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Thanks. For 3 days now our water has been off. We are hoping today is the last day of no water. They have been turning the water on for a bit so we can flush our toilets. We were told not to drink the water until its been fixed, then we will be under a boil water advisory. I am so glad that this home had heat tape when we bought it. My hubby checked the tape out before winter hit. The whole season it has been very mild until last weekend.
archive

Hi Trickey,

Glad to hear you're in pretty good shape!

We went without water for 3 days when the water heater failed! Hubby wouldn't let off my biggest helper off work, and the other guy was working also.

We did have the advantage of having water available. Our water lines are separate. One line for the house, and the other for the yard. We had to haul buckets in, but it worked for a few days!

It wasn't easy or fun, but it sure beat melting snow for water like I had to do when I was a kid LOL! True story... when the pipes froze out at the ranch, that was the only option! Yeah, that was way back in the ice age!

Maureen 8-)