door knobs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

s0ust3k

HI i am new to the forum and i just purchased my first mobile home. theres a couple of things id like to do and one of them being changing all the locks. now the reason behind this is that before i purchased the home it was a rental so theres keys probably everywhere. i have searched the forum and i did not see what i was looking for so i thought i would ask, what i was wondering was if i am changing the exterior knobs can i purchase deadbolts and knobs from home depot or do they have to be from a mobile home company? thanks for your time and i enjoy all the information!
altasnowman

Hello and Welcome to the site.
As far as i know you can go to your local hardware store and pickup dead bolt and door knobs for your home without any problems. you will probably get others with their input as well. One of the other things that you might want to purchase is the repair manual available from the link above in books and parts. it is a great book and is written for real people by a great person. look forward to seeing other post from you. Also if you get a minute fill out your profile as it will help others when you have a problem.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. You should be able to put any lock set in. The only problem you MAY have is if you want to add deadbolts in a metal framed door. this would only be a problem if there is no existing hole. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

As Greg said, welcome to the forum and to the family!

One more tip. if you plan on installing dead bolts, make sure that your door frame is in really good shape. Otherwise, you're just wasting money. A deadbolt is only as good as the door frame.

Dead bolts can be installed on the out swing metal doors, but it is a a bit more of a job.

I've used locks from home improvement and hardware stores with no problem at all!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'