Frost Heaves and Skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I installed new vinyl skirting last summer, following the manufacturer's instructions completely. I made sure to leave 2-3" of room between the top and bottom of the top rail for expansion and contraction with the seasons. Imagine my surprise yesterday morning to find the skirting panels on one end of the MH pushed up into the top rail so far it detached in some places and warped or cracked in others. Is it possible for the ground to heave this much in winter? It hasn't been above freezing here in some time and the end of the MH where this is happening is bare of grass and quite muddy in warm weather. I also noticed that my back door, which is near the damaged skirting, is sticking, so perhaps whatever caused this is also raising the piers on that end of the MH slightly. Odd, since my MH is set on a full cement pad! I don't notice any difference in the interior in that end of the MH, but it wouldn't take much to make a door stick. Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on here? Can the frozen ground heave that much (4-6" at least) in winter? I had to chop a good 2" off of every panel to get everything back together, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the ground heaving to this extent in their MH and how they dealt with it.
archive

We are having the same problem due to the frost in the ground. We can not use our mudroom door right now because the skirting and top rail has pushed up over the bottom of the door. I was afraid to cut the skirting because in the spring after it thaws it might be to short. I need a solution to the problem also. Good luck!
archive

Oh yes, it is possible and even common for the ground to heave that much. that is also the reason we warn about additions being attached to homes. You could try digging a trench and filling it with pea gravel and setting the skirting on the gravel base (next summer). Greg
archive

Hi,

We had this same problem when we lived in Vermont. The frost at times could/would get as deep as 5'. It always happened at one end and yes we were on a full 6 inch slab. We did not cut the skirting for fear it would not fit properly come spring but we did take it off the bottom track and then push the snow up against the skirting to keep the panel in place and critters out. Not saying this is the correct way to do it, but it did work.

Have a good night,

~Yanita~
archive

Wow. That's amazing. I had no idea frost could make the ground heave THAT much! It was probably the last thing on my mind when I winterized the MH last fall. I figured when I replaced the skirting that if I just cut the panels the same size as I was replacing and made sure I left a few inches of room for expansion I'd be all set. What a shocker when I rounded the corner of the MH yesterday and saw that! I think I'll definitely follow Greg's suggestion next spring and dig a trench filled with gravel. I may have to replace a few panels once things warm up, but I think that's a better alternative than worrying all winter about having uninvited guests down under. Live & learn... Thanks for the feedback.