foundation venting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lefties

I dont have skirting,,i have concrete block foundation
1997 commodore repo-1450 sq ft.
Greg

OK, that changes things, I guess that fans are about your only option. Open it up as much as you can and let the fan run. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hey Lefties,

Got your PM, sorry for the delayed response, still battling computer issues.

Yup, remember you and your home very well, extensive conversations about your water under the home and rerouting that and possible install of catch basins.

What have you done about any of these things. Think I read on your post that you had a hole under your home filling with water????

If there is that much moisture under your home, then I would recommend all that I posted to you much earlier and the install of a vapor barrier.

OK, you have determined that you have no leaks. Personally I think you would have to have several severe leaks if all your floors are wavy throughout the home. Don't know about your double wide, but mine only has plumbing on one side.

What type of belly material does your home have again, sorry I forget, getting older LOL. Also is it in real good condition. With condensation "dripping" from the underbelly material, I am leaning on the thought that your home is wicking the evaporated moisture up into the floor areas, therefore causing the wavy floors. I know, I know the underbelly is suppose to water resistant.

Let me know what has changed and what hasn't in the lay of the land, under the home...LOL, your turn to remember our previous conversations.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
lefties

Yanita,,
I have visqueen down in crawl,,sump pump under-have installed and modified their original french drain,,diverted water away from walls with vinyl spouting extensions-added vents-fan-everything short of digging it up. Next im going to try diverting it by a little ditch runoff. I remember our conversation-yup,,I do!! Vaguely(hehe)
Yanita

Lefties....

Hey friend, not familiar with visqueen....french drains, aren't those suppose to be to drain/runoff from rain? Sorry, not working with a totally clear head, have pneumonia.

So you never installed catch basins...is that correct. We have a high water table here, to have the underground water run away from the underneath of our home Larry (hubby) installed catch basins, do you remember what they are?

Yanita
lefties

Yup,,i understand but really couldnt understand the diagrams.
Yanita

Ok Buddy,

Let's see if I can explain how we did it. First understand that this is to reroute underground water....we did ours with simple supplies that we had around the home.

In our case it was easy to determine where the water was coming from. The road in front of our home has a state owned drainage ditch. During hurricanes or tropical storms this ditch does not drain properly and due to the drop in grade from the ditch to our home the water seeps into the ground and was running directly under our home and creating a huge area of deep standing water...our solution...

Hubby brought home a trencher, made trenches forget the depth now, but at the time you could watch the water drain. He dug a little deeper laid 1/2 inch stone in the trench, laid several hundred feet of perforated pipe, covered with a sock type thing, more stone, covered with dirt, replaced sod.

Now at the end of the 200 foot long pipe is a catch basin, has an inlet for the perforated pipe and on the other side, directly across the inlet is an outlet. On the outlet side he install solid pipe to a drainage ditch that is one the other side of the home.

The catch basin is nothing more than a square hole, about 18" deep and 18x18" square. It is lined with nothing more than masonry brick.

The purpose of this is that the ground water runs into the perforated pipe down to the catch basin and then is diverted to another ditch. The perforated pipe catches the water, the solid pipe sends it out quickly.

The only real maintenance to this is every now and again I spray weed killer to keep the openings and the basin clear for water drainage. We also covered the ends of the pipe with chicken wire so no cats, etc could get in there.

We also have directed the condensate water from the air conditioner into a smaller cpvc pipe and that also runs to the catch basin. The ac drips into some sort of container, pipe attached to that and then runs under the length of the deck, under ground slightly and exits into the catch basin. Also redirected the downspouts from the gutters the same way.

Alot of work yes, but our home is dry as a bone underneath, at one time one small corner was constantly wet....it is now dry.

If you can not vision this in your head let me know...will think of another way to describe it..hopefully...I am not real good giving instructions.

Yanita
lefties

ok ,,but im unclear where these catch basins are located?
Yanita

Well...can you clearly define where the water is coming from. Looking at your home pic I think I remember you saying it is coming from the left...you would start your trenches in that area, making your trenches direct the water away from the home.

The catch basin is similar to a manhole on the side of state owned roads. If you removed the cover, went down the ladder it will have inlets and outlets.

I suppose you could forgo the catch basin, and use perforated pipe for the distance you are hoping to get the water from and then hard pipe to the area you want the water directed to.

I don't have a program to make the diagram for a home but let me try to give you a mental pic.

The home sits in the center of the property. State owned drainage ditch in front of home. This is the source of the water. We made the 2 trenches as described in the previous post one went left on a diagonal the other went right on a diagonal. This made the water run away from the home. A catch basin was installed at the end of each of these pipes, then the solid pipe as attached to the outlet of the catch basin, directed that to the runoff area (another ditch we created in the back of the property..

As our fearless leader would say...Clear as mud, huh!

Yanita
lefties

Thx-i think i got it now,,,duh,,sorry!!! Clear as mud NOW!!! :D
Yanita

Whew, glad you got it, LOL!

I know this will be alot of work, but you really need to get that water diverted away from the home. As you can see the moisture alone is causing big problems. Floor replacements are not fun, and I cringe at what might be happening to other areas of your home.

Please keep us posted and if I can be of further help let me know!

Yanita
lefties

i was afraid u might call me w
Yanita

w???
altasnowman

Hi Lefties,
Sounds like your wavy floor is because of the ground moisture you are experiencing. if you have had a lot of rain then that would explain things, or like Yanita and her hubby problem was ground slope. there is one or two other things that may be causing your water problem. One = could be an underground spring or river( really hope this is not the case) or two an old well or artisan well on property. if it is a old well you will have to get some one in to cap it, and if it is a artisan well,underground spring or river the only way to find out would be to talk to a local water company or geologist to see if they have any records of the afore mentioned things in your area. using a ground tarp 6mill or better will help but you have to find the source or the water and have it diverted. hope this helps. the reason i am saying that it is a underground problem is i delivered a home to site about 20 years ago and when we backed it into the site the trailer sank right to the frame, it took two D9 cats and another winch truck to get me and the home out onto solid ground. when we went and looked what we found was a underground river. had there not been a rock formation on either side of the location everything would have been lost. had government guys out to assess site and they measured the depth of river from ground to top at 30 ft, and from top of water to bottom at 43ft. asked them how common this and they told me it is fairly common but they had never seen one so close to surface.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
lefties

I can already see a difference with 6 additional vents-floor isnt spongy feeling,,and crawlspace doesnt feel humid