Electric water heater, standard VS. MH specific

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ferret13sj

Getting ready to replace my electric water heater (old one started leaking and I threw it out weeks ago). This will be the 2nd time I've replaced it since I bought this place in the 90s (it's a 1979 mobile home). Last time I just bought a 30 gallon standard water heater with top water mounts, since that's what the previous one was and how the lines were already set up. Now I've read a few sites that say must be a hud approved mobile home water heater, which has the side mounts. I've just read some old posts on here implying that hud approved is only required for gas water heaters. I really just want to put a standard top mount water heater in so I won't have to change the water lines for side connects. Anybody really know if this is ok? Voids warranty/insurance? Will the MH police come get me?

And on a side note just to vent, it's really irritating that the smallest diameter for a 30 gallon is now 19 inches. My water heater closet is 21 inches wide but the entrance is 18 inches. 😡
ferret13sj

This place is much less active than it used to be. Anybody out there with advice or experience? Bueller? 😂
Mark440

If you've been using a "regular" water heater all this time, I wouldn't worry that a new one is gonna somehow burn the place down. Besides, they would have to prove that you were a bad, bad boy and put in a "regular" WH! LOL!

I've replaced mine twice and it is most definitely a regular standard water heater with the connections on the top.

As for activity here.....I don't know what happened - - - but it's like it all just kinda died and has become forgotten since Mark sold it. Makes me wonder how much longer the site will even exist.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
ferret13sj

I hope this site doesn't go under. I don't use it every day but it definitely has come in handy many times. I didn't realize it had been sold. Thanks for your reply!
Sulteric

I'm also in the market to replace mine. The issue is finding a plumber than will working on a MH.