Plastic Pipe Discoloration Question / Problem?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dd716ted

I live in a newer manufactured Home (1999) that was built with type of plastic pipe (color tan not grey white or black). During the current counter top replacement project in the kitchen, I noticed that the pipe area just under the hot / cold water shut off valves (kitchen sink) was discolored from the yellow color of the pipe to a deep running rust/orange color??? I have inspected all areas around and under this area and there seems to be NO sign of water, water damage, or leakage in the past or present. None of the fittings are rusted or even corroded. Everything is bone dry. Any ideas what this discoloration is?
[/img]
altasnowman

Hello and Welcome to the site,
The problem that you have may be from the type of water you have in your area. I am not 100% sure but that is what i suspect. the coloring sounds like iron content,and having said that i would not worry to much about it as you have no leaks.
Last edited by altasnowman on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
Greg

Hi & welcome. With out knowing for sure the type of tubing that you started with it is hard to say for sure. A home that new should have either PEX (usually white) or the grey poly.
Is it possible that the discoloration is on the INSIDE? Well water usually has a lot of iron that will stain the inside of tube. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

The water discoloring the pipe sounds the most plausible. I have seen PVC discolor to an orange/brown color. There is a tan colored cpvc pipe for hot and cold residential use. There is also an orange cpvc glue. Some localities require the glue to be this orange stuff for inspection purposes. It is the same as purple glue.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.