Kitchen lighting---I want recessed though

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

varadarcop

I have a 1976 Oakwood (Freedom) single wide, 2 bedroom where bedrooms are at the extreme ends of the house. It has a vaulted ceiling in the living room/kitchen, while the bedrooms have a flat, lower interior ceiling but roof is pitched the whole way. Obviously this means there is some space between ceiling and roof in the bedrooms but less space between ceiling/roof where kitchen is.

In the kitchen, some fool decided that putting only two light fixtures was sufficient, and they are on only one side of the vaulted ceiling, which is opposite the sink/countertop/cooking area of the kitchen. Dumbest design idea I've ever seen. Even turning both lights on, it's still darker where cooking happens. I want to add lights to even out the light for this big kitchen. The fixtures are that typical 1970 stuff, two bulb ugly thing with a square glass diffuser. Yeah..ugly. Outdated.

Roof is aluminum. I really want recessed lights. Some suggested track lighting but being a vaulted ceiling, that would be tricky and look odd, plus it still would be using the existing light locations on only one half side of the kitchen. Is it really feasible to add recessed without much difficulty? I can't believe home builders in the 70's didn't have better ideas than what they gave me.

I'm nearly finishing a 17 month project where I gutted my master bathroom down to the joists and studs, converted the tub to a huge shower-only, moved the toilet, removed a closet, installed moisture resistance drywall walls and Durock in the floor and shower area with porcelain tile throughout and porcelain floor tile. Got rid of the ugly skinny window and replaced with a new, bigger one too. Even used mosaic tile in the shower floor. $5,000 project and looks so amazing! (if Titanic had been this watertight it'd never have sank)

Anyways, looking for serious advice on the recessed kitchen lighting.
Mark440

There are super thin (like less than 3") recessed lights (LED) so i doubt they would cause any interference with the roof stuff. But! The problem is getting power to any locations that aren't "in line" with the existing fixtures. Cutting new holes in the ceiling and hoping to be able to thread some conduit through doesn't have good odds.

Hence.....track lighting is probably the best option as you can tie it in to one (or both) of the existing fixtures and run from there. There are some super nice modern fixtures to fit the track. I have seen some units that mount flush to the ceiling and others that are 3-4" off the ceiling on standoffs. Cleaning-wise - I would go flush to the ceiling.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
varadarcop

I just don't see how track lighting is going to work. This is not a flat ceiling. I'd end up with multiple bulbs that will still only be on one half-side of the kitchen...leaving the other 6ft half of the room in shadows....which is driving me insane. I literally need a flashlight to look inside my dryer!
Mark440

Consider doing pendant lights rather than "spot lights"

Do an internet search for 'track lighting pendants'. There are hundreds of designs that should be able to spread the light around.

Ok..so my kitchen has 2 ceiling lights in the kitchen area, and one ceiling fan over the dining table. I am looking to eliminate the fan, and convert the two existing ceiling lights to track pendants. My intent is to install track that would allow a gigantic "U" on the ceiling and i can place lights anywhere on the "U". Over the table, a single line of track with 3 pendants. I have vaulted ceilings so I will try to get lights with an adjustable length (drop).

Cutting a whole in the ceiling and trying to fish a power line across the roof trusses is not my idea of fun. At all.
Mark440

On a lighter note...
"need a flashlight to look inside my dryer!"

you need my big old black lab dog! I have no idea why - but he is obsessed with the dryer - but only when the door is open. He will literally stick his head in the dryer, and just stand there looking around. I can't help but laugh.
varadarcop

haha.... but no. I had a roommate with two dogs for nearly 2 years...I will never again have dogs in my house, ever.

I'll look into the track pendant idea.
JD
Site Admin

I replaced my old cheapy type ceiling lights with 30W LED (150-Watt incandescent bulb equivolent) and it is like daylight! I was shocked at the difference.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Sulteric

The new LED recessed lights are awesome! I have some in my house. I'll be putting those in my MH as I renovate each room. I'm tearing out to the studs and redoing it all, each room. I'm on the first bedroom right now. It's a bit complicated because of one window but the second bedroom will be super easy. Then comes the bathroom!