Advice on exterior painting, please....

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

NanaMary

I have a 1974 double-wide, which I moved into in 2006. The exterior was painted once in 2008, but I knew very little (like nothing) about hiring painters, so the job was not done very well. One of the sides has afternoon California sun for hours much of the year, and the paint (light green) is very faded and unsightly on that side. The rest just looks old and tired. I finally have decided that it's time for a repainting, reaching that point where I realize it's not going to get better on its own!

I have calls in for estimates to two painting contractors who have valid licenses, but I don't really know what else to do. I know from looking around on the internet that the job should be done with very good paint, Sherwin Williams or such. Maybe I should ask Sherwin Williams for a recommendation of a painter?

Any advice on what I should look for, how to find a good painter, what should be guaranteed, what I should make sure is included.... and any other advice, will be most welcome. (I cannot do it myself, and I don't think my handyman could handle it.)

PS, I don't know what material the sides are made of, but I can tell it's not metal. Probably some sort of wood look-alike?
NanaMary

Replying to myself... I believe that my request would require a very long detailed response, which is why I've received no responses! In the meantime, I've googled around and learned some stuff. So thanks for reading, anyone who did.
Mark440

Generally speaking - paint is paint is paint. I've used everything from the high grade Bennie Moore (the stuff is like yogurt!) to the bargain bin apartment maintenance paint at the big boxes (the stuff is like water!). And while the Bennie Moore paint was a pleasure to work with - it really didn't cover any better than the middle of the road paint.

Glidden and PPG are now one and the same. I have used their paints many times - and have never had a batch go bad. I have also used Sherwin Williams for specialty projects.

Finding a good contractor is always an ordeal - and the best way to qualify one is to ask for references. Don't be shy. Ask for 4 or 5 references. Some from recent. Some from years past. Then take the time to contact these people - AND go look at the work (if they are relatively near).

Colors. Dark colors will always fade sooner than light / lighter colors. They also hold more heat. You don't have to go all white - but avoid those dark colors. FWIW - if you do your trim in white, Bennie Moore has a Brilliant White that is hands down the smoothest white I have seen.

Process / prep work. If they aren't going to do the prep work - kick 'em to the curb. Unless your home is an exception - they best show up with a case or more of good 25-35 year latex caulking - or they need to go work somewhere else. They need to fully prime any rough areas....and if there is metal pieces - they need to use a METAL primer. Also, if there are 'stains' in the existing painted surfaces - KILZ it with an oil base primer. Also - any shutters should be removed, the wall painted - and the shutters put back up. Do not accept just painting around the shutters.

I hope this helps. And I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Opportunity has a shelf life.