Best way to clean deep inside air registers.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hello all,
There seems to be a lot of left over debris during the manufacturing of this home deep inside the air ducts. I've seen a few business that offer to clean them out for a fee. I tried the best I could with my vacuum but I need to go really deep inside. Just wondering what the best way to clean them out is there any special hoses that allow you to snake all the way down that can be attach to an vacuum cleaner hose.

Jim
Greg

You could try using a shopvac with an extra hose coupled together. You could go from register to register. I am not sure if the ducts would stand up to one of the large duct cleaners. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

I don't think that's the problem, problem is the regular hoses is to large in diameter to snake all the way down.

Jim
Greg

I had my large shop vac hoses in the duct with no problem. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
altasnowman

HI, I use my shop vac with a flexible hose and it seem to work fine. I also have a old washer drain line that I attach to the shop vac and it gives me an extra 4 ft of hose so i can if i have something to large to go through hose i can push it to next vent and pull it out .
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......

Thanks maybe the one I tried seem to get caught up inside need something just a little smaller in diameter to maneuver around. I will see whats available next time I stop by Lowes or HD, seem like every time I fired up the blower bunch of debris come flying out of the registers.

Found this Video when searching for air duct cleaning hose, maybe I'll just hired this guy. LOL

He did a great job and explain everything.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hhIsGr5E0
Mark
Site Admin

What a great video! We may have to link to it in our video section. Definitely shows one way of cleaning air ducts although the instructions would need to be tweaked a bit for mobile homes.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
altasnowman

Mark wrote:What a great video! We may have to link to it in our video section. Definitely shows one way of cleaning air ducts although the instructions would need to be tweaked a bit for mobile homes.

Mark
Good video on duct cleaning, also viewed some videos on mold. might not be a bad idea to see if you could link some of those videos to the site Mark.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
wayne

I checked my ducts with a mirror and a flashlight when we first bought this house. There was a tennis ball in there.
Manitoba Bill

Not exactly a duct cleaner but maybe someday we may have Bots that will clean hard to reach places.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/29/irob ... mn-gutters
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]

Found this while I was shopping at K-mart. I cleaned out as much as I could, who know what's further down there. I know how these homes are built like an assembly line, they have quotas to meet so they just hide all the debris inside of walls, ducts etc........what a mess!