Does anybody know about Aquaboard?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I need to replace the tub surround wallboard before installing a fibreglass tub surround kit.

Will Aquaboard to the trick and can the fibreglass be glued to it?

Nicky T
archive

hi Nicky,

A quick search on Google rendered me this info...

This is a dimpled covered product that is meant to be used against your foundation so that damp soil never comes into contact with the foundation blocking/cement.

Not saying that it would not work, but due to the texture of it I doubt that you would get good adhesion of the surround. I think you would see the little dimples.

Rip out whatever is damaged in your bathroom to the studs...replace with greenboard or sheetrock.

~Yanita~

Link: aquaboard
archive

Hi. I know I don't like cutting any of the "cement" based backer boards - too much fine dust. Every bathroom I ever did I screwed 1/2-inch plywood to the studs. I found the plywood easier to shim out to exact square making for an easy installation of the tub surround. I also found that the glue for the tub surround should be applied evenly to the plywood with a 1/4-inch grooved spreader - not from a tube that could leave glue spaces that "bubble". Good luck on your project. Lloyd
archive

Thanks for the responses. I mentioned Aquaboard because that's what a well-respected handyman told me. I googled it too and it certainly doesn't look suitable,does it.

On with the motley.

Nicky T